ThoughtWorks is not your average company; so don’t expect to find average people working here. As a People Specialist (HR Business Partner) you’re going to help us stay this way.
As a software services and consulting firm, people really are our business, and your job will be to take care of them. Put simply, this role is to ensure that ThoughtWorks remains a high caliber talent organization and to help us engage and support our consultants better.
You will be responsible for the following:
• Orientation: You will be responsible for managing the first 6 months of a ThoughtWorker hired in your BU. You will work with the local Delivery Assurance Manager and PM to ensure structured project on-boarding for all ThoughtWorkers coming into your BU.
• Employee contact and coach: You are a main point of contact for employees within your BU. You’ll know all of the consultants and will be an active advocate for their career development. You will listen to them when they need an ear and are the first port of call for many of their concerns.
• Consultant career and professional development: From group and individual training needs, to conference attendance and leadership development assessment, succession planning and coaching, you will work with the consultants and the local business to ensure that our people are developing as consultants and practitioners. This will require you to be a hands-on coach and mentor to our consultants. You take responsibility for making sure that our people have the professional tools to do their jobs effectively.
• HR Consultant: Working as a business partner to the local business leader, you will provide support and professional advice relating to the overall business strategy.
• Loyalty: You are responsible for supporting and delivering a local engagement strategy so that ThoughtWorkers feel valued and developed and they remain part of our business for longer.
• Program Ambassador: You will manage and roll out core people programs for your BU such as performance, compensation, satisfaction, engagement. This includes synthesizing feedback and collaborating with the people support (centralized services) team to ensure seamless administration.
• People Planning: You will collaborate with resource management to unite the BU’s long- term strategic people planning, employee’s career aspirations, and current people needs.
• Diversity: You will be a champion for diversity within ThoughtWorks and the wider world of technology. You are responsible for creating a positive work environment, on local projects and in the office, to support this aim.
• Project Success: You will spend time with the teams on projects, working with the Project Leaders to manage performance issues, coaching the consultants around becoming better ThoughtWorkers and are responsible for ensuring that we have high performing teams. This may include team dynamics work and delivering feedback/conflict resolution training.
You will have the following experience:
• 2-4 years’ relevant experience in a services/consulting or technology company is preferred.
• HR generalist with experience of coaching, Learning and Development and performance management as the business.
• Have been responsible for the support and care of a group of at least 60 employees.
• Comfortable working and in a distributed and changing organization.
• Have been exposed to an entrepreneurial culture, implementing new ideas and bringing innovative solutions for the business.
• Have worked in a start-up, all hands environment. You’re as happy making sure the plants get watered, as you are telling someone they just got promoted.
You will have the following competencies:
• Communication: Proactive communicator. Can easily build credibility and trust across a wide range of people. Able to give and receive feedback constructively. Comfortable having difficult discussions.
• Resilient: Personal and professional resilience. Can accept mistakes and handle conflict. Able and willing to make decisions and not always be right. Stands up for our people, can become unpopular.
• Strategic: Actions and decisions driven by TW’s values. Looks forward to the future, though able to balance the ideals of tomorrow with the realities of today. Business focused; able to empathize with leaders and win their trust. Able to balance the day-to-day business needs with ThoughtWorks’ values and aims around diversity.
• Team Work: Intuitively collaborative and able to work with all kinds of people. Leads by example. Passionate about getting people to their next level. Inspires and is inspired by the people around them. Spots when others need help. Willing to step in and do what is needed as necessary. Low ego.
• Ambiguity: Undeterred by ambiguity, uncertainty and lack of resources. Able to hold many different possibilities and conflicting viewpoints in mind and work through to a solution.
• Understands Global: National: Local: Personal and is able to prioritize as needed. Is the cultural monitor and sense checker of our business. Is the protector of ThoughtWorks values. Envisions what is possible, and then implements a solution.
• Sense of Urgency. Has a strong desire to bring about positive change in individuals and the team, and works proactively to help people achieve at their highest potential.
• Able to travel at 50% of your working time.
ThoughtWorks prides itself on being a unique, disruptive, passionate organization and it’s essential that whoever joins in this role can demonstrate that they understand us. As such, our hiring process is designed to challenge your thinking, check your collaboration skills and understand what kind of a people person you are.
Back to top