Web Front End Software Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Web Front End Software Engineer
Thomson Reuters Labs investigates the application of new technology to Thomson Reuters products. Technologies were are investigating or actively using include blockchain, augmented reality, machine learning and end-to-end encryption.
Labs exist are not tied to any particular business unit (Finance & Risk, Legal etc.) meaning that we are involved in a wide range of projects across a number of different subject areas.
The team itself is multi-disciplinary by design comprising specialists in software engineering, experience design, product and project management.
- First and foremost you are a software engineer. You understand software development practices, design patterns and how to use these skills within a team. Your primary focus will be in front-end web development for desktop and mobile devices.
- You would:
- work in an agile team, and will collaboratively design, document and implement the next generation of Web Applications.
- be responsible for the design and development of both internal and consumer facing web products. Our aim is to provide a truly unique, integrated and real-time experience for the end-user across a wide range of applications and devices.
- be given great independence in your work so essential self-management skills are a must.
- agree with our preferred approach that engineering appropriateness and the best compromise is often the preferred approach.
Successful candidates may also have a strong background in another development language/platform.
Writing, building and testing code both locally and in deployed environments. Reviewing wireframes and screen-designs to understand the proposition and present different/better ways of doing things. Working in collaboration with design and back-end colleagues. Presenting to peers.
Software engineers, designers, product managers and project stakeholders.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Substantial on-the-job software development experience.
- Backbone etc.
- Experience using and designing APIs and restful web services
- Use of version control systems (Git, Subversion)
- Passionate about problem solving
- Excellent communicator
- Confidence and pride in your work
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Value judgment and common sense over process
- An ability to learn quickly and willingness to try new languages/frameworks
- A sense of humour always helps
Desired Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable experience of web development and responsive design using HTML5 and/or CSS3
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of building applications for different platforms (fixed line web, mobile browsers, etc.) and their unique characteristics
- Knowledge of other programming languages (Java, C#, Objective-C, etc.)
- Knowledge of Blockchain technologies/architecture
- OO and database design and data modelling skills
- Designing, developing and debugging web front-ends integrated with Web Services/Content providers and backend services (SOAP, REST and the likes)
- Comfort using Photoshop to acquire assets.
- Experience or knowledge of server side architecture or programming would be an advantage.
- Advanced ability to convert complex requirements and abstract concepts into working
- Designs and software applications
- Ability to evaluate alternatives and understand business and context implications and its impact
- The full software development lifecycle
- Interfacing and working alongside technical and design teams
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
- Worked in an agile development team
- Built multi-platform solutions (rendered both on fixed line and mobile devices)
- Direct collaboration with customers/clients
- Domain analysis and conceptual thinking
- Self-management of time and filling-in gaps in requested tasks and communicating deviations
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top