Video Journalist, China.
Reuters is the largest independent international news agency in the world. Founded over 160 years ago, Reuters provides society with the news it needs to be free, prosperous and informed. Each day our 2,600 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage with speed, impartiality and insight. Each day, Reuters News is read and seen by more than 1 billion people worldwide through multiple platforms. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
If you believe you can bring something special to this role, we want to hear from you. You may have a non-traditional career path, education or background. If you meet the minimum qualifications for the role, let us know in a cover letter with your application. Reuters depends on diversity of thought and you could be just what we need.
Reuters Video News is looking for a dynamic and talented Video Journalist for the Beijing bureau. This is a key role in a key bureau where Reuters' video content is published directly to subscribers. We are looking for an experienced Video Journalist who is eager to take on new challenges to help drive our daily coverage and be part of a high-profile, high-performing team responsible for covering news and features in the Greater China region and beyond.
The successful candidate should have strongEnglish language and scripting abilities, able to speak, read and write business Mandarin to a level he or she can work independently in the field and deal with Chinese clients and sources. He or she should have an experienced filming background, both desk and field producing experience, able to edit, and have a strong personality to meet tough challenges in one of the world's news hotspots. Working closely with television crews and multi-media teams in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei, the successful candidate will be responsiblefor shooting, writing, planning, co-coordinating and covering news and feature stories, while working closely with our Singapore and London news desks. He or she will need to be a proven self-starter with excellent communication skills, an unflappable temperament and a passion for news gathering and strong visual story telling. It is essential to have a global perspective to go with a strong knowledge of the Greater China story.
Essential Day to Day responsibilities
- Able to shoot with a professional video camera, produce, edit, write and deliver a story from both office and field
- Coordinate daily news coverage and work closely with the Singapore and London news desks
- Working closely with multimedia teams on a daily basis to produce comprehensive packages
- Respond courageously to major breaking news events, acting quickly and in a responsible manner
- Sharp eye for visual news elements and video story-telling
- Represent television internally and externally, building a strong relationship with local and international clients
- Able to work long hours, weekend shifts, often under extreme pressure and unsupervised at times
- Thorough understanding of television editorial technology and social media skills
- Excellent communication skills both in Mandarin and English.
- Meeting tight deadlines in a Direct Inject bureau
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 55,000 colleagues in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- At least 2-3 years experience as a professional camera operator, writer, desk/field producer and editor
- Good technical skills, including non-linear editing, laptop newsgathering and satellite and FTP delivery systems
- Experience working in HD
- Excellent English writing skills
- Writes and speaks Mandarin fluently
- A track record of working with multi-media teams.
- Strong visual story telling skills.
- The ability to take still pictures and write a news story for the wire service.
- Experience in broadcast or agency television newsgathering and production.
- Strong skills in driving accuracy and speedwhile upholding Thomson Reuters editorial principles and policies
- College education and above
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top