Vice President - Legal Editorial Ops
TheVice President Operations will work closely with Legal EditorialOperations and Global Operations Centers Leadership teams, setting directionfor Legal Content Teams in Manila and Hyderabad, ensuring that strategicbusiness goals are met and operational performance meets/exceeds requiredstandards. The purpose of the role is to lead and manage the LegalEditorial Operations centers based in Hyderabad and Manila by enabling both locations to function as part of anenterprise and deliver value to the Legal business and its customers at companylevel.
Therole will provide day-to-day leadership,oversight and execution of the businessplan to ensure alignment and support of Legal Editorial Operations goals. She /He will also lead the business management and operations responsibility for allaspects of assigned products, functions and workflows to meet product, peopleand budget deliverables. (e.g. production, updating, maintenance, quality anddelivery); as well as oversee the efficiency, resource allocation andeffectiveness of the Content Centers by directing the actions and activitiesthat enable the sites to meet the needs of the business.
Major Responsibilities /Accountabilities:
- Create and execute the vision and direction for the Content Centers in Hyderabad/Manila and ensure alignment with the Legal Editorial Operations organization vision, imperatives and operating principles
- Contribute towards Ops centres priorities being part of the Ops centres leadership team
- Support the Global Head of Operations Centers (Bangalore) and SVP - Legal Editorial Operations (Eagan – US) in developing, executing long-term Legal Content Center strategies and solutions.
- Oversees and provides strategic direction and leadership for the legal team including:
- Business management and organizational responsibility for Publication/ Editorial function or site.
- Management of overall quality and timeliness to meet business plans and customer requirements.
- Direct actions that enable the Legal teams to work successfully across global boundaries, represents Legal operations in the site management team and ensure alignment with site priorities.
- Handle complex and sensitive information with broad audiences. Serve as the primary representative for the Legal team.
- Build 'One team' ethos across Manila and Hyderabad legal teams.
- Ensure business continuity, proactive capacity management across both the sites to manage seasonal peaks and troughs
- Develop a self-sustaining 'legal' training function within theOps centres.
- 'Own' governance across legal teams in the operational centres. Ensure that appropriate end of the day checks are done consistently and regularly. Ensure that the team meets SLA across all parameters namely , Timeliness, quality and productivity consistently.
- Ensure Proactive escalation and incident management within the team
- 'Own' crisis management and recovery where appropriate
- Establish, maintain and, when necessary, activate the Business Continuity Plan and/or Crisis Management Plan to ensure mitigation of impact or continuity of operations during adverse situations
Change Management :
- Drive operational excellence and customer experience; oversee the planning and execution of the legal team's ongoing strategic initiatives related to content, products, systems and people; Recommend actions on major business issues and resource allocation decisions within the legal teams Centers.
- Organize workflows to enable delivery and ensure consistency across both sites – in delivery, training, on boarding, people practices, operational controls, risk management, change management and metrics
- Drive a 'continuous process improvement' and 'innovation' culture across the legal teams.
People Development :
- Responsible for managing talent to best meet the current and future needs of the business – lead the team effectively focusing on developing core leadership skills in direct reports, key employees, high potentials and emerging leaders.
- Have a clear succession plan – for all levels within the teams
- Ensure that career path, training plans and cross training plans are in place across the teams
- Develop a core group of SMEs who can help disseminate best practices – not just within the ops centres but within the business too.
- Create a work environment/culture that facilitates teamwork, ensures open and honest communication, recognizes and rewards high performance, and provides development/learning opportunities.
- Manage regular and multi-channel communication within the teams across Hyd and Manila.
- Facilitate a learning culture, set priorities to develop talent, ensure successful knowledge transfer and build current and future workforce readiness.
- Work with Legal Editorial Operations leaders across groups to institutionalize production, quality and process metrics to drive optimal business results
- Build relationships and collaborates with key internal partners - Human Resources, Finance, Facilities, Procurement and others- to proactively address issues and priorities. Will be the leadership point of escalation for all people related issues in the site
- Manage budget, control costs and maintain optimal efficiency.
- The secondary responsibility for this role is to oversee Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting (TRTA) content operations which are based in Hyderabad (140 FTE approx.)
- In addition, there can be additional site leadership / special project responsibilities (cross content initiatives) as required based on discussion and agreement
20 years of experience in editorial, production or operations management
Experience in leading and inspiring a large global, multi-location and multi-cultural organization
- Strong leadership and Operations management skills
- Experience in managing large 'cross cultural' and remote teams effectively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to grasp and articulate technical and conceptual ideas
- High level of comfort escalating and presenting key issues and requests to senior management when appropriate
- Ability to build relationships across the business to further Operations' goals and effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity and manage uncertainty
- Ability to balance competing priorities and manage several time-sensitive projects/tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to work effectively across cultures and experience managing diverse, professional teams with proven coaching and problem solving skills
- Proven track record of driving transformation within operations groups
- Advanced stakeholder management and proven ability to partner in a highly matrixed organisation
- Budget/P&L management skills for a large organization
- Highly collaborative and enjoys working and delivering results through teams
- Previous publishing experience and familiarity with legal terminology and court, legislative, and regulatory levels is desirable
Scope & Impact
- Has financial responsibility for overall strategic planning, budget, capital/resource allocations, and cost control for business unit, site or function.
- Assists the leadership team in the overall financial and resource planning. Current FTE in scope is approximately 700 for Legal and 140 for TRTA
- Balances and prioritizes work and resources across business units, sites, and functions to meet the needs of complex professional markets.
- Accountable for operational and financial performance of the business unit, site or function.
- Partners with other leaders in the organization for new product development concepts.
- Builds and manages a team of leaders to effectively manage the department/business unit.
- Sets people strategy including leading, motivating, developing and retaining talent.
- Manages stakeholder expectations and understanding of key initiatives.
- Acts as an executive sponsor for major projects and initiatives.
- Fosters a culture of innovation and excellence.
- Makes decisions that impact business unit, site or functional area, and are guided by broad organizational strategies.
- Maintains high level relationships with internal and external stakeholders and act as point of contact.
- May represent Thomson Reuters externally in order to build more visibility for the company as an information supplier.
Technical / Professional Skills & Competencies
- Advanced/excellent leadership skills, including developing and mentoring staff.
- Advanced stakeholder management.
- Excellent communication, presentation, advocacy, relationship building, facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to translate and communicate strategies to clear operational activities.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong knowledge in products, multiple content sets, and multiple processes.
- Strong commercial, financial, business acumen and thorough understanding of relevant market as well as the subject matter content of products.
- Strong understanding of market trends, customer product requirements, related business functions, and industry standards.
- Ability to create an organizational culture that supports business objectives and values.
- Ability to lead and/or sponsor cross-functional and cross-organizational projects and initiatives.
- Ability to drive change within a broader organizational context.
Relationships: Internal / External
- Develops and manages relationships across business units or their business to create strategies, influence decisions, and achieve objectives.
- Manages external relationships to ensure commitments are met and interacts with internal and external customers regarding product deliverables and issues.
- Collaborates with leaders to ensure prioritization of resources and initiatives.
- May participate with or lead peers across division on key projects.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top