Technical Specialist (Support Engineer)
Technical Specialist (Support Engineer)
Financial and Risk
Product or Service
Thomson Reuters REDI is an execution manage system (EMS), with around 2000 daily users trading global Equities, Futures and Options across global markets. It includes a broad range of EMS trading functionality including live market prices, charting, portfolio basket trading, pairs spread trading, positions, risk management, allocations, FIX connectivity to clients and brokers, and integration with Thomson Reuters Eikon for IOIs and Messenger.
REDI is well-known amongst traders, having been previously developed & extended by Goldman Sachs, spun off in 2013, & now owned by Thomson Reuters since Jan 2017.
The role is in the existing team that provides L2 application support during Asia hours. The key responsibility is to ensure the stability of the production environment, working closely with the L1 (customer-facing) team, FIX Onboarding, Developers & Infrastructure engineers. The L2 team investigates & tries to resolve any production incident, from small issues or questions up to large system outages, reaching out to other teams and escalating if necessary. Tracking open issues in Jira & following up on root causes issues is an important part of the role.
Main Responsibilities / Accountability
- Anticipate, diagnose and resolve issues with the REDI trading platform
- Interface daily with internal coverage & global support teams in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. There is considerable exposure to external trading clients too, and a key requirement is the ability to build strong user relationships
- Proactively manage and monitor our environment, together with extensive problem identification, ownership, tracking, resolution and escalation
- Manage system outages, direct activities of development and infrastructure teams to resolve production issues
- Drive initiatives that continue to improve the availability, stability, and performance of the system
- Closely cooperate and collaborate with development, test engineering, product, and client coverage teams
- Work with developers on supportability designs, application optimization and performance tuning
- Monitor the production application environment for problems and diagnose root causes
- Work with engineering teams to maintain a scalable, reliable, and robust environment
- Drive the improvement cycle from Operations back into development and vice versa
- Provide follow-the-sun model support with regional teams and rotational on-call escalation
- L1 customer support team members
- Sales & Account Management staff
- Tech Infrastructure / Unix & Networks staff
- QA team, and FIX Onboarding
- Equivalent teams in other global regions
- Occasionally talking with clients/traders or executing brokers
Essential Skills/Experience Required
- Experience with real-time production trading architectures, with significant uptime and reliability expectations
- Have a detailed knowledge of Linux systems (eg RHEL, CentOS) with regular use of command line
- Updating/creating Unix scripts in Bash, (also Perl, Python nice to have)
- Familiarity with Relational Databases, proficient in SQL and query tools
- Have a working knowledge of FIX Protocol
- Experience with end-to-end application support and troubleshooting
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Desired Skills/Experience Required
- Experience with process schedulers (eg cron, Autosys)
- Familiarity with the concepts of daily change control / release cycle
- Ability to navigate through complex infrastructures independently, using a range of tools provided to investigate an issue
- Keenness to "own" side projects including building or improving support tools
- Experience working with Virtual Machines (eg OpenStack, vmware, kvm, xen)
- Experience with DevOps config mgmt systems and concepts (eg Chef, Puppet)
- Experience with monitoring, and alerting tools (eg ITRS, Nagios, Zenoss)
- Basic knowledge of network routing concepts
- Application Containerization (Docker) is an area we are starting to move into as well
- Degree level education in Computer Science preferred.
- Other mathematically / logically oriented subjects might be considered
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top