We are trusted for the decisions that matter most, empowering customers to act with confidence in a complex world. Our intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Technical Lead/Team Leader
Position Type: Permanent
Role Purpose/ Summary:
Responsible for technical and team leadership, during the analysis, definition, design, construction, testing, installation, modification, and maintenance of properly engineered content information systems, containing software as the major component, to meet agreed business needs.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- May lead a small to medium sized development team, optionally may have formal line management for team members.
- Responsible for the technical design of software systems and components, working within the overall technical framework or direction set by an architect.
- Produces task and project estimates, often at feasibility and time-box milestones.
- Leads, or is solely responsible for the technology portion of feasibility assessment, communicating technical issues and challenges to a non-technical audience.
- Works closely with the project manager to break down and allocate development and project tasks.
- Is responsible for task allocation and progress monitoring, ensuring tasks deliver to agreed schedules.
- Acts as a point of escalation within the project for technical, design and delivery issues.
- May manage work allocation for one or more external development teams.
- Works with support representatives to agree release of software systems or components.
Along with other developers:
- Works closely with internal stakeholders, including editorial and product management representatives to ensure solutions are fit for purpose.
- Creates and executes unit testing and integration testing ensuring software meets requirements.
- Contributes to the creation of design and may lead the design of less complex components.
- May provide technical support to operations or other development teams.
- Creates, reviews, and maintains all required technical documentation related to assigned software to ensure supportability and reuse.
- Reviews work of peers and more junior developers.
- Assists in identification and implementation of short-term and long-term solution options.
- Participates in project planning sessions with team members to analyze development requirements, provide design options and estimate work for small to medium sized software components.
- Provides timely status updates for areas of individual responsibility within projects directly to project supervisor, team leader or project manager.
- Actively participates in team meetings, scrum meetings and general status meetings.
- Develops software using disciplined software development processes, adhering to team/company standards and software best practice guidelines, and corporate policies.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- A proven ability to produce good quality and well architected code without supervision.
- Good knowledge of the Java programming language.
- Some previous experience leading a team of software developers, or other relevant team leading experience.
- An in-depth technical knowledge, driving an ability to make sound technical decisions.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Angular JS or similar Java script frameworks
- Apache Hadoop (HDFS/HBase etc.)
- Apache Spark (Scala & Java)
- Spring MVC
- Apache Kafka
- AWS (ElastiCache, Amazon Dynamo, EMR etc.)
- Experience with Microservices development
Useful Skills and Experience:
- Experience of testing methodologies and tools.
- Knowledge of source control techniques including branching, merge etc
- Development experience using database technologies
- Working knowledge of XML, XSLT and associated processing technologies
- Task management using Jira.
- Experience implementing software as a service.
- Working knowledge of DSDM or other agile methodology
- Some knowledge of the UNIX OS and bash scripting.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top