Sr. Director, Product Marketing (Westlaw)
Director/Senior Director Marketing, Online Legal Research
Our WestLaw Product Marketing team focuses on strong partnership with segment marketing and sales, and product management. We also focus on growing new sales, increasing retention and driving customer value.
Thomson Reuters is looking for a Senior Director of Product Marketing to lead this team, and to articulate our value proposition and develop best-in-class go to market strategies. This individual will also be committed to working across the business to achieve product sales and revenue objectives, rolling up their sleeves to discover, create and optimize whatever it takes to accomplish these goals.
Specifically - in addition to owning and driving product messaging, value proposition, positioning and new launches for WestLaw - this person and their team will be the go to partners for segment marketing and sales, demand generation and campaign management in helping to drive the suspect nurturing cycle, the prospect sales cycle and the customer retention and expansion cycle at maximum velocity.
Last but not least, this person and their team will partner closely with Product Management to help assess and prioritize customer needs and market potential (both TAM and CAGR), analyze market trends and monitor competitive activity as we bring new offerings to market across segments.
Scope and Impact
- Excellent story teller with the ability to translate sophisticated and complex technical details into clear, compelling, and memorable stories of end customer value
- Partners collaboratively with segments and product management to develop holistic marketing strategies, feed content into segment marketing plans, and ensures product performance goals are attained, and provides input and influences decisions on product investments and long term strategy
- Develops go-to-market product and launch strategies, and work with cross-functional segment marketing, campaign marketing, product management and demand generation teams to guide and help execute programs across customer segments that drive pipeline growth, drive customer perceived value and retention rates, and drive market awareness, momentum and leadership.
- Manages a high performing team that exceeds the expectations of all stakeholders, and develops a talent management plan/process for the team that supports the strategic and future needs of the business.
- Ensures deliverables meet or exceed our internal stakeholders' strategic requirements, address our external customers' pain points and meet Thomson Reuters quality standards, including brand guidelines.
- Leads a team of product marketers who deliver on the following:
- Story telling – demonstrated ability to generate compelling stories and possess the innate ability to make the complex simple
- Value proposition – develop clear and compelling value propositions that address customer needs and describe how our products will drive significantly better positive outcomes for our customers than our competition
- Go-to-market – develop best-in-class marketing strategy and launch plans; help generate product naming, campaigns, messaging, content and thought leadership in support of new releases and ongoing business
- Create content and sales enablement tools that align to the buyer's journey -including the first version of product datasheets, presentations, playbooks, white papers, demos, qualifying questions, blogs, webcasts, Web content and other needle-moving sales enablement tools to enable segment marketing and sales to more easily and more quickly promote and drive adoption of our product portfolio
- Benchmarking – against internal growth goals and trend lines; and maintain competitive fact base; including competitor size, successes, product offerings, positioning, price structure, how to sell against etc.
- Product roadmap – help to gather and provide customer and segment input; coordinate cross-functionally to align organization; include high-level business requirements and prioritization criteria
- Brand – Ensure all aspects of business are on brand, consistent, focused on customer outcomes, and employ best marketing practices
- Project management – work with marketing, sales, technology, operations, communications and customer service teams to ensure initiatives and new releases are launched effectively and on-time
- Data analysis - project management, reporting and communications, ability to turn data into actionable insights
Education and Experience:
- 10 years of relevant product marketing experience with increasing responsibility; prefer that a significant part of this experience be focused on cloud-based software businesses, preferably selling to the legal industry, and prefer that work experience include work in both early-stage private company environments and in a publicly traded and matrixed company
- Undergraduate degree required
- MBA strongly preferred
- Previous people management experience required.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check
- May be remote (travel will be 30% ) or located in Minneapolis, MN (travel will be 20%).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Highly accountable; takes ownership for high standards and drives sense of urgency across team and partner functions
- Decisive and data driven; willing to form an opinion and defend it with the ability to step back and be objective in the evaluation of a business challenge
- Experience working in a marketing environment powered by extensive use of CRM, web analytics, marketing automation systems, demand gen and sale cycle metrics
- Experience supporting a large, diverse sales force – both field and inside - selling across SMB, mid-size, large and government accounts, and experience with and/or training in the challenger sales model
- Experience in enabling new products to connect to a large, installed customer base
- A natural evangelist both internally and externally with a solid combination of vision, strategic thinking, and pragmatism, encompassing both solid strategic product marketing abilities and direct tactical involvement
- Ability to motivate and achieve results through a highly visible, transparent management and leadership style with strong EQ and a focus on talent development, with the ability to manage both local and remote product marketing staff while fostering and maintaining a creative and collaborative team dynamic
- Creative problem solver who is not afraid to develop new processes nor re-engineer existing ones with the ability to create structure and definition around complex and/or ambiguous business challenges
- Ability to distill complex information into simple and meaningful insights and conclusions (and bring everyone along to drive alignment and action)
- Above all – intellectual horsepower, with an eager curiosity and demonstrated ability to learn quickly
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top