Sr. Developer, Java
Sr. Software Developer, Java
U.S. Income Tax Compliance
Thomson Reuters U.S. Income Tax Compliance software is relied upon by the largest multi-national corporations and global accounting firms for theirs and their clients' income tax filings. Our vision is to create the next generation of tax and accounting software that is no longer bound by the prior constraints upon storage and computational resources that have historically been a major factor in how we designed and implemented our platforms. We seeks to add a talented, results oriented and innovative software engineer to our team who will help us extend our market leadership into the next generation of our software.
- Ability to balance legacy demands with future vision. Thomson Reuters is an established leader in the tax compliance market place, with a long history and lots of legacy code. So, while our ambitions are very much focused on the future, we need someone who possesses the patience and tolerance necessary to maintain existing systems and methods while working feverishly to construct the new. While we have traditionally hosted our services internally, we are migrating to public cloud infrastructure, Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure, specifically. We need your partnership in moving this transformation forward.
- Thinking in terms of computing at scale. Liberated from the traditional constraints of legacy data centers and monolithic architectures, you design and construct elastic, fault-tolerant, high-performance, scalable systems, that are cloud native.
- Strong Object Oriented Analysis and Design Skills. You instinctively decompose large scale problem spaces into rich domains that appropriately combine data structures and behavior, that possess elegant layering and a separation of concerns, and you understand principles such as SOLID and Domain Driven Design ("DDD").
- Agile, collaborative and flexible. We are organized around self-directed, largely autonomous Scrum teams. You work well with others, enjoy opportunities to collaborate and readily adapt as strategies evolve and priorities change.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Engineering Excellence. You have at least three years of experience in a variety of contexts during which you've contributed to the construction of scalable, extensible software solutions and systems. You understand technology and possess a passion for excellence. You instinctively partner with the Quality Engineering and Quality Assurance team members, responding immediately to failing test cases and ensuring that quality is engineered from the Inside Out.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. At Thomson Reuters, commitment to customer satisfaction and technology excellence permeates everything we do. You care tremendously about delighting our users and ensuring that our market and technical leadership is sustained and extended. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Three or more years' experience in a software engineering environment, including experience with co-located as well as geographically distributed teams.
- SQL composition skills using either PL/SQL or T-SQL. Some NoSQL understanding and experience, with a preference for Couchbase, HBase, or Cassandra.
- Deep experience programming in Java. You will need to have strong object-oriented design and development skills and advanced knowledge of core Java. You possess a solid understanding of object-oriented programming, SOLID, DRY, DDD and core database design principles.
- Awareness of CI/CD/DevOps concept and tools. Comfortable with the disciplines of Unit Testing and Test Automation. Worked in an environment in which releasable code is delivered every two weeks.
- Working experience with Git and GitFlow, pull requests, branching and merging of features across multiple releases and hot fixes.
- Whether via face-to-face discussion, phone, email, chat, white-boarding, or other collaboration platforms, you must be an effective communicator who can inform, explain, and coordinate, etc.
- Willingness to learn and support our legacy codebase while the transition to our next-generation is occurring.
- Ability to build and deliver hands-on technology proof-of-concepts and demonstrations
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum team environments
- Results oriented. Detailed oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top