Sr Contracts Counsel
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Provide Customer Contract Legal Support, which includes the following:
- Review and respond to requests for TR Legal customer contracts.
- Negotiating with customer directly, including leading complex contract negotiations with strategic customers.
- Create, draft and support data, software, services and technology license agreements and other kinds of technology-based customer contracts.
- Support new products by drafting contracts as they are developed/acquired by TR Legal business units, working with necessary internal teams to ensure proper terms are captured.
- Modify existing agreements to support the execution of internal marketing and sales promotions and programs.
- Use Apptus and other applications for contract generation and review of requested exceptions and contract modifications.
- Provide training and mentoring to Contracts Counsel on drafting and negotiation skills.
- Act as a control to manage TR Legal's risks and exposure from a legal standpoint and as part of TR Legal's SOX compliance program.
- Represent the Customer Contract Management department at interdepartmental meetings to ensure that legal risks are considered as sales, marketing and product development initiatives are appropriately considered.
- Educate internal customers, including Finance, sales and other representatives of the TR Legal businesses, on issues of legal impact and risk assessment.
- Provide Legal Support of TR Legal Bids for all sales channels, which includes the following responsibilities:
- Assist with strategic analysis of complex bidding opportunities.
- Assist with drafting questions to bid requirements as needed.
- Provide careful review of terms and conditions of bids and draft exceptions as needed.
- Negotiate contract upon award as needed.
- Provide training and mentoring to Contracts Counsel.
- Assist as needed with the compilation of West responses according to solicitation requirements; provide general procurement advice.
- Advise and support sales and internal departments and management on the strategic application of procurement laws and regulations, as well as compliance issues, and adherence to applicable Thomson Reuters policies and practices.
- May be required to lead or coordinate a large, strategic bids.
- Contract Management and Compliance Responsibilities:
- Provide effective contract management and administration as may be required for key contracts.
- Analyze and draft amendments, renewals, data licenses, and letter agreements.
- Utilize the department's electronic contract management system (PROLAW) for effective record-keeping of negotiations and final contracts and modifications, tracking and contract compliance.
- Assist with or lead corporate wide implementation of contracts, renewals, and amendments, including Master Service Agreements.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: No direct reports, however, the Senior Counsel will also be responsible for training and mentoring Contracts Counsel on day-to-day responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- J.D. required and current attorney licensure.
- A minimum of 4 years in customer contracting, government contracting and/or procurement contracting in a corporate setting, with strong legal experience negotiating and drafting customer and/or vendor agreements. Related experience in a content, software and/or technology environment will be considered.
- Significant experience with contract, procurement, and IP law required.
- Experience negotiating contracts, drafting and analyzing print/electronic publication bids, software license agreements, as well as government relations and project management experience preferred.
Knowledge and Preferred Skills
- Exceptional ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external business customers and executive level management.
- Contract administration and compliance experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional business judgment and acumen.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels, both internally and externally.
- Respected resource who is routinely consulted for advice and recommendations.
- High level of integrity, professionalism and strong attention to detail.
- Strong leadership and teaming capabilities.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and to work under pressure within tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Deep knowledge of West contracts and contracting processes.
- Willing to devote additional work hours as needed; some travel required.
- Consistently meets expectations.
Consistently performs at high levels on complex contracts and negotiations with minimal supervision
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top