Sr. BigData Infrastructure Engineer (Eagan, MN location)
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. Providing this level of insight requires cutting edge technologies in many areas, including Big Data.
Our team is part of the Thomson Reuters Data Center and Infrastructure Services organization (DCIS). We work closely with our technology development organization to design and build innovative solutions that support this mission. Our team also provides 24x7 operational support of the Hadoop infrastructure that powers many of our most innovative products and services.
We are currently seeking a Sr. Big Data Infrastructure Engineer. This is an opportunity to apply your skills in Big Data technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Kafka etc) as part of a small group of highly skilled, motivated and passionate engineers on an exciting journey to transform the way Thomson Reuters Data Centers deliver Big Data solutions and services to our business. You will also participate in an on-call support rotation (including US week-day hours, occasional 24 hour week-ends and some holidays). The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong technical aptitude, experience in supporting Big Data environments and solid customer service skills.
- Work closely with Big Data technical leadership team to deliver Hadoop technologies and services including HDFS, HBase, Hive, Spark and other emerging technologies to Thomson Reuters product teams.
- Partner with product development teams to implement best practices and optimize performance of the Big Data applications.
- Analyze new hardware and software design requirements and develop solutions and services to support them.
- Research new Big Data technologies and assess maturity and alignment of the technology to business and technology strategy.
- Lead efforts in Hadoop product upgrade cycles including testing and release planning.
- Act as a resource for business unit and DCIS-driven projects that require Big Data/Hadoop involvement.
- Work independently in troubleshooting Hadoop related incidents; pursue root cause analysis and problem resolution through coordinated interaction with vendors and internal support teams.
- Translate highly technical solutions/problems into clear language useful to audiences at varying technical levels.
- Document and track problem resolutions using established Service Management processes and tools.
- Communicate in a professional manner when interacting across staff level and internal/external customers.
- Evaluate and communicate risk as a top consideration for all solutions and changes being made on behalf of customers.
- Participate in a weekly on call support rotation once per month and week-end on-call support rotation once every 6 weeks.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field; or equivalent level of experience.
- 2 years in an IT or technology support role.
- 3 years progressive technology experience, including experience in the following:
- Advanced Big Data/Hadoop infrastructure experience.
- Exposure to software engineering and development including experience writing scripts and understanding code.
- Intermediate UNIX/Linux administration experience.
- Ability to prioritize work and establish consistent responsiveness to customer inquiries (with a strong focus on service delivery).
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional and cross-cultural teams.
Ability to investigate complex issues spanning multiple technologies.
Strong technical aptitude and ability to comprehend technical documentation.
Strong analytical skills and the patience to work through problem resolution follow up.
- Strong passion for technology and ability to work independently on support needs and project work.
- Self-motivated and self-directed, ability to translate technical direction and apply to specific work responsibilities.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top