SQL Database Tech Lead
Behind every great on-line ecommerce site and technology service is an equally great database. These databases provide mission critical data processing services and it takes highly skilled DBA's to build and maintain these systems. To meet the challenges of our fast growing business products and services lines, we need to grow our DBA team. We're looking for exceptional DBA's who are interested in using the latest database technologies to deliver industry leading systems, with results that go directly to the bottom line.
We are looking to add a Lead Database Engineer to our Database Operations team. This global team interacts directly with key technical groups, collaborating to implement change and provide support for major databases systems that deliver data to the critical, revenue generating applications that drive the TR business. These systems rely upon Microsoft SQL Server databases running on Windows platforms.
* The shift timing for this role will typically be US Business Hours.
Major Areas of Accountability
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database software installation and database creation.
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database monitoring and management.
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database patching and upgrading existing database environments.
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database migrations and technical refreshes.
- Develop tools and processes that improve the support team's efficiency and change execution.
- Manage and lead escalations for production incidents that require infrastructure specific knowledge or investigation.
- Perform experienced root cause analysis and lead vendor engagements.
- Partner with the architecture team in delivering against the MSSQL database roadmap.
- Drive automation and simplification initiatives.
- Stay current on latest MSSQL technologies and undergo technical certifications.
- Develop technical documentation related to SQL server standards/strategies.
Leadership and Communication (25%)
- Translate highly technical solutions/problems into clear language useful to audiences at varying technical levels
- Prepare high quality technical and non-technical documentation, present it clearly to interested parties
- Communicate in a professional manner when interacting across staff levels and internal/external customers
- Evaluate and communicate risk as a top consideration for all solutions and changes being made on behalf customers
- Supervise and mentor database engineers
- Research and develop team and project leadership skills
Management and Administration (15%)
- Contribute to, influence and direct a variety of work streams concurrently.
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals.
- Participate in initiatives to define, measure, and report on database quality and stability.
Business Acumen and Strategy (10%) .
- Proactively generates relevant ideas for new and improved operations or use of technology.
- Understands the impact of new projects and technical impacts to supported systems.
- Collaborates with peers, Systems DBAs and managers to determine system strategy and how best to implement/support it
- Bachelor's Degree - Computer Science, technical or engineering degree preferred
- 8+ years experience in a development or support organization supporting large applications with MSSQL on Windows platforms
- Strong quantitative, analytical, communication and verbal skills with a strong customer service focus
- Ability to solve problems in high pressure situations.
- Ability to work well with different staff levels within and out of core competency.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team, as well as independently toward assigned goals.
- 5+ years experience with scripting languages preferably power shell.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 8+ years experience with different versions of Microsoft SQL (2005/2008/2012/2014/2016) server and related technologies.
- Expert in MS SQL Server clustering, replication, log shipping and database mirroring.
- Expert in SQL server backup and recovery techniques.
- Expert in working with different scripting languages, preferably power shell.
- Database design experience as well as SQL performance and tuning.
- Broad knowledge of technology platforms, products and services.
- Experience in a technical support organization.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Cross-functional team collaboration experience.
- Experience working with development teams.
- Strong relationship building skills across technical and business teams.
- Strong analytical and trouble shooting skills.
- An eagerness to learn and desire to work as part of an energetic team!
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America
Back to top