Sports Reporter (Level 1 Journalist)
Reuters,the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world's largestinternational multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion peopleevery day. Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national, andinternational news to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world'smedia organizations, and directly to consumers at Reuters.com.
The successful candidate will be part of a high-profile, high-performance team responsible for covering what is the sporting capital of the world. New York is ground zero for anything and everything that involves sports. New York is the headquarters for all four of North America's major sports leagues, the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL and the Thomson Reuters office at 3 Times Square is right at the heart of the action. The area is also home to three NHL teams, two NFL teams, two MLB teams and two NBA franchises. In one week you might find yourself out covering a story at the U.S. Open tennis, a PGA Tour event, a soccer match featuring some of the world's most glamorous clubs, or meeting any number of athletes, teams, sports business and league officials passing through the city on media tours. If you love sports, this position will have it all from game coverage, to sport politics, business, and the offbeat.
In addition to possessing strong story-telling abilities to write the variety of sports news stories for the Reuters text file, the successful candidate must also be able to shoot and edit their own material. While sports news is the primary beat, the role may also require the ability to cover everything from natural disasters, to politics and the endless supply of lifestyle and quirky stories. Proven experience in writing and voicing broadcast packages, and experience in front of camera, would be an advantage. Computer literacy is essential, as is a familiarity with filing text and video material from the field – both edited and live.
Working closely with text and television teams across the United States and Canada, this Multimedia capable Sports Journalist will be responsible for planning, co-coordinating, and covering sports stories and helping with other news and feature stories for a diverse range of clients. He or she will need to be a proven self-starter with excellent communication skills, an unflappable temperament, and a demonstrable passion for news gathering and visual story telling. The successful candidate must also have a global perspective to go with their intimate knowledge of North American sport. They need to be flexible enough to deal with a fast-moving business which can involve unsociable hours and the need to travel at short notice.
Key duties include:
- Coverage of sports events of international interest in North America but primarily East Coast United States for the text and video file.
- Keeping abreast of an often volatile and always fast-moving sports news file in the region
- Coordinating news coverage and delivery as part of a multi-media team on a daily basis
- Establishing a rapport with colleagues across all bureaus
- Proactively assisting in the rollout of the latest news gathering and production tools
Required Skills and Experience:
- Passion for Sports
- Strong story- telling ability, writing, and reporting skills
- Ability to film and story tell through video
- Good technical skills, including tape and non-linear editing, laptop newsgathering and satellite and FTP delivery systems
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines, many times unsupervised
- Willingness to travel to breaking news stories, often at short notice
- Clear communication skills, both with colleagues and clients
- Ability to work well and learn within a team
- Solid news judgment and a deep understanding of client needs both locally and internationally
- Valid driver's license
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ability to film and use a P2 camera
- At least two years of experience, freelancing, internships with a video news media company.
Education / Certifications Required:
- College education or at least five years reporting experience
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top