Software Engineering Manager, Operational Transfer Pricing
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
This person will play a pivotal role in designing, developing and supporting state of the art User Interfaces. Thomson Reuters uses the latest technologies available for User Interface development and this person will be responsible for both using current technologies and research emerging technologies for adoption.
ONESOURCE Operational Transfer Pricing, Software Engineering Manager
Did you know that more global trade occurs within corporations than between them? ONESOURCE Operational Transfer Pricing ("OOXP") enables its customers actively to manage their tax liability as inventories move through the global supply chain. Using sophisticated and state-of-the art technologies, OOXP can use almost any client-defined data sources and data definitions to calculate these highly complex positions. On the strength of large scale distributed platforms, we execute these calculations in a fraction of the time that our leading competitors require. We seek to extend this market leadership by exploiting the nearly limitless capacity and global footprint of the public cloud. If you are a talented, results oriented and innovative software engineering manager, this might be the career opportunity you've been seeking.
As part of the product engineering team, you will utilize your talents and expertise to lead development of a sophisticated distributed tax calculation engine using a platform that is cloud-native, highly scalable and performant.
You'll have a key role organizing and directing the work of the team, while ensuring alignment with a variety of other disciplines, including TechOps/DevOps, quality assurance, and product management. You have top-notch communication and interpersonal skills. You've mastered the art of nurturing high performance teams, but you can jump in and write code as necessary, too.
- Makes Others Better. We are looking for a "coach" who will identify, train, and develop our next generation of software engineers. You will have a vested interest in their professional development and will ensure their successful integration into our project teams. With your extensive interpersonal skills, you'll engage and energize teams to achieve aggressive goals. You're a natural leader, who inspires trust and respect across a variety of disciplines.
- Manages Ambiguity. Because you're committed to inventing the future, you understand that there isn't a playbook to execute. You're comfortable operating and leading in settings where you have to plot a solution path that needs to be continually re-evaluated and re-calibrated.
- Thinks in terms of computing at scale. Liberated from the traditional constraints of legacy data centers and monolithic architectures, you design and construct elastic, fault-tolerant, high-performance, scalable systems, that are cloud native. Legacy systems are to be maintained with traditional High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) strategies.
- Agile, collaborative and flexible. We are organized around self-directed, largely autonomous Scrum teams. You work well with others, enjoy opportunities to collaborate and readily adapt as strategies evolve and priorities change.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Engineering Excellence. You have at least five years of experience in a variety of contexts during which you've contributed to the construction of scalable, extensible software solutions and systems. You understand technology and possess a passion for excellence. You instinctively partner with the Quality Engineering and Quality Assurance team members, responding immediately to failing test cases and ensuring that quality is engineered from the Inside Out.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you're comfortable making mistakes, failing quickly and safely, learning a lot along the way.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success.
- Leading through influence. People like and respect you. Software engineers look up to you and actively seek your input. With your extensive interpersonal skills, you'll engage and energize teams to achieve aggressive goals. You're a natural leader, who inspires trust and respect across a variety of disciplines.
- Fearless (not reckless). You aren't afraid to challenge conventional wisdom and are committed to bringing new, fresh ideas to the table. You'll take reasonable, calibrated risks that appropriately reflect their scope and context.
- Commitment. At Thomson Reuters, commitment to customer satisfaction and technology excellence permeates everything we do. You care tremendously about delighting our users and ensuring that our market and technical leadership is sustained and extended. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- You will lead project teams, either as a delivery manager or highest technical lead, actively contributing to the development of project plans, roadmaps and resource plans.
- Provide significant input for determining departmental and project budgets and schedules, and helps ensure they are met.
- Proactively identify, recommend, and implement process improvements to the development lifecycle.
- Improve efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Reviewing cost/benefit analyses of design alternatives and collaborate with technical staff before selecting final design.
- Proactively manage individual career development. Foster technical aspects of employee career development.
- Write and deliver team performance reviews, identify candidates for promotion, and ensure developmental opportunities for staff.
- Attract and hire exceptionally qualified candidates.
- Work with off-shore teams regularly.
As a leader and transformation agent, we will look for your contributions in the following areas
- Feed market intelligence and potential product improvements to the technical team and development team
- Keep senior technical management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems
- Continuously improve your skills, product expertise, and knowledge on related technical topics
- Ensure that our applications and infrastructure are designed and implemented to the highest security standards thus maintaining and enhancing customer trust
- Five or more years' experience in a leading-edge software engineering environment, including experience with co-located as well as geographically distributed teams.
- Experience with implementing and managing solutions that use some or all of the following NoSQL and Big Data technologies: Hadoop, Cassandra, Spark, Impala, HBase, Elastic Search, Couchbase, and DynamoDB.
- Awareness of CI/CD/DevOps concept and tools. Worked in an environment in which releasable code is delivered every two-to-four weeks.
- Whether via face-to-face discussion, phone, email, chat, white-boarding, or other collaboration platforms, you must be an effective communicator who can inform, explain, and coordinate, etc.
- Ability to build and deliver hands-on technology proof-of-concepts and demonstrations
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum team environments
- Results oriented. Detailed oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related technical discipline is required.
- Experience working in a regulated environment. Have participated in disaster recovery tests and security incident management. You have ensured compliance with following standards: Sarbanes Oxley and SSAE 16 (SOC 1 & SOC 2).
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters' core values?
- Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
- Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
- Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
- Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top