Software Engineering Director
The Directorof Software Engineering will play a pivotal role in our strategictransformation from product to platform-centric software engineering practices.These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategicinitiatives to extend our market leadership, enhance customer experience, andimplement next-generation software technology as we pivot to a platformcompany. In short, the Director of Software Engineering will lead ourfundamental organizational and operational initiatives, activities and changes.
The idealcandidate must be technical enough to be hands on and has the managerialexpertise to direct multiple product lines as they converge into aplatform. The Director must have theability to function as an architect and have an excellent customer focusedattitude to lead our development teams. As the Director of our softwaredevelopment team you will be responsible for the development and maintenance ofour on-premise and cloud based Corporate Tax Compliance software. You will be responsible for the SDLC,technical design, development, QA, build systems, software deployment, programand project management and Datacenter operations. This position will require maintaining thedaily operations while the organization is transformed into a platform company.The Director should have expert insight into the technical complexity of keycomponents and must provide technical guidance to software engineeringmanagers, architects, programmers, infrastructure, customer support and other non-technicalteam members.
- Accountable for the successful execution of multiple software development and technology projects (including building enterprise scale next generation software platforms and products) and teams, including support and maintenance releases, minor functional releases, and major products
- Provide technical expertise, leadership capabilities and managerial skills to various technical development and support functions, which make up the program for our T&A products
- Lead and manage highly talented large technical teams of 100 with layered reporting with full budget responsibility
- Lead the transformation from multiple products into a single Tax Compliance platform
- Identify and consolidate duplicate product functionality, infrastructure environments and teams
- Automate manual tasked via software
- Set & vet the architecture direction of our products
- Establish and agile SDLC and mindset
- Ensure development teams estimate development effort by breaking down components into work items
- Ensure managers assign resources to work items and ensure deadline are meet
- Provide software development progress reports to executive management
- Provide technical leadership and direction
- Review technical design and ensure the designs are well vetted
- Occasionally get into the code to validate engineering direction and design
- Work closely with customer support to ensure escalated items are addressed accordingly
- Ensure production operations of 99.9% uptime
- Ensure the cloud base software is always operational
- Ensure compliance requirements and other governance measures are met
- Continually work on process improvement
- Contribute to and help shape the technology strategies and drives execution
- Stay current with modern software development technology
- Make global resourcing recommendations and/or decisions, including engagement of third party suppliers and vendors with complex SOWs, movement of projects to low-cost centers or acquisition of strategic technologies
- Establish Service Level Agreements to ensure delivery of great service to our customers
- Lead and manage the day-to-day activities of their team including supporting career development of team (objective setting, performance management, talent management, etc.)
- Facilitate and optimize a work culture that promotes the development and attracts and retains high quality, technology staff
- Evaluate entire portfolio of projects, ensuring resource supply and demand are balanced
- Responsible for client interaction for customer problem resolution or new business development
- Provide effective dissemination of management information, leadership, and general communications to staff, tailoring as needed for individual areas
- Prior experience of managing and transforming a technology organization of 100
- Prior development and management of on-premise solutions and cloud base software with 1,000's of users is a must
- Must come from a software development background. Prior experience as a software engineer.
- Prior experience with managing multiple large technology projects with large teams in a fast-paced environment is a must
- Experience with compliance activities
- Intimate knowledge of Internet development
- Management of high performance agile teams
- Management of on-shore and off-shore teams
- Management of a development team of 100 FTEs (Dev, QA, BA, System Engineers, Project Managers)
- Previous architecture experience with large scale cloud based software
- Prior experience developing tax or accounting software is a plus
- Web Development, JAVA, Spring, JSP, JDBC, MVC, Tomcat is a must and Visual Studio.NET (C#, ADO.NET, ASP.NET) is a plus
- JSON, XML, XSL, XPATH
- WCF, SOAP, REST, WS*
- Memory caching or a noSQL background
- Big data technologies
- Ping Identity is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Technology is a must, preferably in Computer Science
- Master's degree in Technology, highly preferred
- Preferably at least 12 years of software development experience
- Experience managing application integration projects
- Experience managing an agile SDLC, preferable SCRUM
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented programming concepts and relational data modeling
- Strong Object Oriented Design, Relational Database Design, and XML Design
- Ability to collaborate and brainstorm in a team environment
- Excellent customer service and communication (oral / written) skills required
- Strong ability to managemultiple and sometimes competing priorities
- Strong understanding of financials and translates to objectives
- Ability to stand-alone and drive difficult decisions
- Appreciates the need for change and can manage change effectively
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top