Software Engineer Team Lead
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Software Engineer Team Lead
Business Unit: Finance and Risk
Product or Service:
Connected Risk is a product that has been recently acquired by Thomson Reuters. Our focus is developing packaged products for using in Enterprise Risk Management solutions. The product has a great deal of flexibility and can be configured to deliver a wide variety of software modules. A lot of this configuration is able to be done by non technical people using web based drag and drop techniques.
We're looking for a team lead who wants to combine their leadership role with hands on Java development to work as part of the Connected Risk Development team.
As a Development Team Lead, you'll be responsible for the line management of a number of developers, setting their objectives, ensuring performance against those objectives and supporting them in their career development.
You'll also oversee and take part in the analysis, definition, design, implementation, testing, maintenance and support of the Connected Risk toolkit, working closely with Quality Manager to ensure that what we deliver is to a high standard.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Responsible for delivery by and management of a small technical team of typically 6-8 engineers
- Support and lead your team, monitoring and addressing performance issues and providing career development guidance
- Develop software using disciplined software development processes, adhering to team/company standards and software best practice guidelines, and corporate policies.
- Drive a focus on quality in the team, taking accountability for ensuring that code is properly unit tested and reviewed prior to release and working with the QA team to ensure a successful transition into test.
- Provide technical support to operations or other development teams
- Create, review, and maintain all required technical documentation to ensure supportability and reuse
- Provide technical guidance to team members, and review the work they do.
- Assist with improvements to prevent problems, including problem resolution workflow.
- Participate in project planning sessions with team members to analyze development requirements, provide design options, and provide work breakdown and estimates of work.
- Organise and chair team and status meetings, providing timely status updates for areas of individual and team responsibilities within projects to supervisor
- Connected Risk Development Manager
- Connected Risk Delivery Manager
- Connected Risk Quality Manager
- Connected Risk Development Team
- Connected Risk Client Development Team
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Experience of leading development teams, with successful track record of leading teams to deliver on time
- Experienced software engineer with knowledge of the Java language and underlying JVM
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Experience of unit testing
- Knowledge of databases, SQL and database access via JDBC
- Understanding of HTML and XML
- Self starter - does what it takes to get the job done
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Proficient using source code management tools such as Git or SVN
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Line management experience
- Familiar with continuous integration
- Experienced in a formal software development lifecycle
- A good relevant degree is desirable, but experience and the right approach to work are just as important.
- Oracle Java certification is desirable but not required.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top