Software Engineer (Front End)
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Software Engineer (Front End)
Applied Innovation investigates possible applications of new technology to Thomson Reuters products. Using the three horizons framework, as feature in The Alchemy of Growth, we are primarily focused on horizon two and horizon three opportunities. As examples, our extensive work in blockchain would be classified as horizon two whilst our AR/VR projects address horizon three.
A significant percentage of our time is spent in the ideation and development of prototypes and MVPs for audiences internal and external to the company.
The team itself is multi-disciplinary by design comprising specialists in product and project management, experience design and software engineering.
Product or Service:
Applied Innovation are involved in a large range of projects leveraging a multitude of different technologies so a successful candidate is unlikely to be assigned to a single product or service. Information about specific projects would be discussed in the course of the interview process.
- First and foremost you are a software engineer. You understand software development practices, design patterns and how to use these skills within a team.
- Your primary focus will be in front-end web development for desktop and mobile devices.
- You will work in an agile team, and will collaboratively design, document and implement the next generation of Web Applications.
- You will be responsible for the design and development of both internal and consumer facing web products. Our aim is to provide a truly unique, integrated and real-time experience for the end-user across a wide range of applications and devices.
- Due to the nature of the team and the position, you will be given great independence in your work so essential self-management skills are a must.
- Engineering appropriateness and the best compromise, when required, over process, is our motto and preferred approach.
- Successful candidates may also have a strong background in another development language/platform.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Writing, building and testing code both locally and in deployed environments. Reviewing wireframes and screen-designs to understand the proposition and present different/better ways of doing things. Working in collaboration with design and back-end colleagues. Presenting to peers.
- Senior Software Engineers, Product Managers, Project Managers, design teams and project stakeholders
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Substantial on-the-job software development experience.
- Experience using and designing APIs and restful web services
- Passionate about problem solving
- Excellent communicator
- Confident and proud of his/her work
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Value judgment and common sense over process
- Ability to learn quickly and willingness to try new languages/frameworks
- A sense of humor always helps
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable experience of web development and responsive design using HTML5 and/or CSS3
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of building applications for different platforms (fixed line web, mobile browsers, etc.) and their unique characteristics
- Knowledge of Blockchain technologies/architecture
- Knowledge of other programming languages (Java, C#, Objective-C, etc.)
- OO and database design and data modelling skills
- Experience with version control systems (Git, Subversion)
- Comfort using Photoshop to acquire assets.
- Proven experience in designing, developing and debugging web front-ends integrated with
- Web Services/Content providers and backend services (SOAP, REST and the likes)
- Experience or knowledge of server side architecture or programming would be an advantage.
- Proven experience in interfacing and working alongside technical and design teams
- Advanced ability to convert complex requirements and abstract concepts into working designs and software applications
- Experience in the full software development lifecycle
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to evaluate alternatives and understand business and context implications and its impact
- Experience working in an agile development team
- Experience in building multi-platform solutions (rendered both on fixed line and mobile devices)
- Experience collaborating with customers/clients is a plus
- Demonstrable experience in domain analysis and conceptual thinking
- Demonstrable experience self-managing time and filling-in gaps in requested tasks and communicating deviations
- BS in Computer Sciences or Computer Engineering
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top