Westlaw Japan K.K.
Directly reporting to Technology Assistant Director
The Technology Department is responsible for the development and operations of Web/mobile-based products developed and sold by Westlaw Japan K.K. Those products are built upon global software assets owned by our corporate group. Further, the Technology Department develops and operates programs for processing various data and the Content Management System (CMS) that support our products; performs tests and quality control of our products; and responds to technical inquiries from other departments.
The Software Engineer is responsible for the analysis, definition, design, construction, testing, installation, modification, and maintenance of our products and related systems to meet agreed business needs.
- Analyzing system requirements with users
- Documenting formal software requirements
- Participating in high and low level design of the system
- System coding
- System testing of individual components
- Testing in the software lifecycle
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Generating innovative approaches and solutions to technology challenges
- Participating in development process refinement
Required Experience, Skills and Capabilities:
- Solid experience in web-based development (PC/Mobile)
- Minimum 2 years of software development experience
- Minimum 2-3 years Java experience
- Well versed in database technologies, specifically Oracle
- Knowledge of accepted software engineering methods such as structured programming, reusable software, life-cycle development, and object-oriented programming
- Ability to collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products
- BSc/BA in Computer Science or a related degree
- Japanese/English Bi-lingual
Desirable Background and Experience:
- Technical leadership experience
- Experience with a variety of IDEs [Integrated Development Environments]
- Experience of XML and XSLT
* In consideration of potential changes in business and needs for respective positions, the Company has the right to change job positions and responsibilities. Depending on individual skills and capabilities, there may be cases in which you will be given instructions to perform different work from and/or additional work to that described above.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Lisa B.Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top