Social Enterprise Correspondent
Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Deadline for applications: December 7th
Job type: One year contract
Location: United Kingdom
At the Thomson Reuters Foundation we stand for free, independent journalism, human rights, women's empowerment, and the rule of law. We expose corruption worldwide and play a leading role in the fight against human trafficking. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world. We tackle global issues. We achieve lasting impact.
With over 90 staff members around the world, including nearly 60 editorial staff, and offices in 12 locations across the Americas, Africa, Asia and Europe, the Foundation is a point of reference in the corporate philanthropic world and a respected source of humanitarian news. Some of our high-profile initiatives include:
- Under-reported stories - our growing team of journalists covers the stories other media don't cover with an emphasis on humanitarian relief, women's and LGBT+ rights, human trafficking and slavery, the human impact of climate change and property rights.
- Trust Women - an influential international conference to take action by putting the rule of law behind women's rights and help fight trafficking and slavery. Every year Trust Women forges new strategic commitments to help women to know and defend their rights.
- TrustLaw is the world's leading service providing free legal assistance to NGOs and social enterprise. The network boasts more than 4,000 members, including some 3,000 NGOs and social enterprises and law firms and corporate legal teams with more than 120,000 lawyers.
- Media development - for the past 30 years we have been training journalists and media professional, improving the standards of journalism around the world.
We are seeking a talented, high-energy correspondent with excellent news judgment and strong writing skills to cover the fast-growing sector of social enterprise. You will be UK-based and work with the Thomson Reuters Foundation's award-winning global news team to produce unique stories that have impact and bring under-reported issues to light.
You will focus on producing social enterprise stories that expose the challenges and successes in the sector that will be interesting to professional circles, decision makers and a broader public. You will explore and report on how social entrepreneurs globally start and develop their businesses, what issues they are facing and what impact they have on their communities and internationally. You will also monitor how the social enterprise agenda evolves in response to public reform. You will take the lead role in conducting a poll in 2019 on the best countries for social entrepreneurs and help promote the survey.
While producing exclusive news yourself, you will also work with our team of reporters and freelancers globally to find wide-ranging stories of social enterprise, illustrating where possible with pictures and videos. These will be featured on a section on our website that highlights these stories and brings in expert voices to comment on the sector. You will initiate online debates and discussions on social enterprise and issue a monthly newsletter.
If you are excited about working for an international news organisation that has extraordinary reach and you want to have impact, this could be the job for you. The position requires a proven track record in excellent journalism.
- Run a multimedia file of stories about social enterprises and entrepreneurs
- Help write and research stories that highlight new angles on this growing sector
- Oversee a section of news.trust.org dedicated to social enterprise that includes opeds and blogs
- Develop new ways to present social enterprise stories online and via social media for maximum impact
- Develop a global network of freelancers and work with sources to produce unique content
- Take the lead role in conducting a poll in 2019 on the best countries for social entrepreneurs and help promote the survey.
- Languages preferred.
- Other duties as assigned
- Extensive journalism experience, including a proven track record of breaking exclusive stories
- Knowledge of social enterprise preferred
- Proven experience across a range of cultures
- Strong writer, able to meet deadlines and work under well pressure
- Highly organised, self starter and strong team player
- Experience building social media followings preferred
- Multi-media skills in audio and video production a plus
- University degree
This position is based in London. The salary is negotiable according to qualifications. The deadline for applications is December 7th. To apply, send your CV and cover letter describing how you meet the specifications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with interviews held in December for an immediate start.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top