Site Reliability Engineer - Senior Software Engineer
SRE – Senior Software Engineer
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. As an SRE in Thomson Reuters' Tax and Accounting business, you'll be developing solutions to optimize the management of existing systems and help build the framework for new ones.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Participate in rotating on-call.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 4 - 6 years progressive technology experience.
- Skills and experience in:
- Problem solving unusual issues, or being able to run with problems you've never seen before
- Programming. Especially programming solutions to solve problems as they arise. Working knowledge of some or all of these languages: Python, Powershell, Shell, Java
- Systems design. Recognizing the difference between a LAMP stack and a WIMP stack. You understand why to use or not use an in-memory database, or a message broker
- Networking. A base understanding of TCP/IP fundamentals, load balancing, routing, and the troubleshooting processes and tools related to them
- OS internals. Windows and Linux fundamentals, administration, design, troubleshooting processes and tools related to them
Desired experience in:
- Applying an evidence based approach to solving system problems under pressure and in real time to provide the fastest path to service recovery.
- System and software configuration management using tools such as puppet, chef, or ansible.
- Cloud technologies and platforms such as AWS or Azure using API or configuration tools.
- Object-Oriented design, design patterns and programming following clean coding practices.
- Agile/lean development practices such as Scrum, XP and agile design.
- Data structures and algorithms.
- Software testing frameworks that support TDD and BDD.
- Automating software build and testing using tools such as Jenkins.
- Database programming, schema design and query optimization (relational and NoSQL).
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top