Site Reliability Engineer Manager
Thomson Reuters (TR) is trusted for the decisions that matter most, empowering customers to act with confidence in a complex world.
Enterprise Technology & Operations (ET&O) @TR stores 60,000 Terabytes of data and handles 79 billion market messages per day; critical information which must always be available to our customers.
Site Reliability Engineers in ET&O are responsible for ensuring the global availability of our mission critical customer-facing products and services.
We place a high degree of trust and responsibility in the hands of our SREs. While it is likely that no SRE will possess all of the skills on this page we seek candidates who have the required core skills will master some, and are willing to learn the vast majority.
Will you join us?
Are you are a hands-on Technical Manager who loves coding and thrives when pairing with your team members. Do excel at setting direction, building strong and diverse teams, developing talent, delivering results and being a role model for your team?
The SRE Technical Manager Role
- SRE Technical Managers are engineers with the right mix of knowledge and skills in software (i.e. programming, data structures and algorithms), systems (i.e. operating software on internal and external infrastructure at scale), and most importantly, people.
- We participate in on-call rotations to monitor and support our products and services, taking recovery actions prior to and after disruptions.
- We dedicate at least 50% of our time 'engineering away' problems both, directly and through pairing and coaching our team.
- We work side-by-side with SREs in our team applying software engineering principles to resolve problems impacting service uptime or our operational efficiency.
Our SRE Management Culture
- To accomplish our mission and continue to build our internal DevOps culture, we partner with Development and Product Management across Thomson Reuters and are strong advocates of the CALMS framework.
- We create the right environment that enables every individual in the team to contribute in solving problems.
- We value understanding people, technical aptitude, innovative thinking and a great learning ability above proficiency with a specific toolset.
As a hands-on SRE Technical Manager, you are expected to have some level of proficiency in the following:
- Enabling the full potential of the people in your team by supporting their career development, giving feedback and coaching.
- Building strong teams through hiring and encouraging diversity, and empowering and motivating others.
- Systems configuration and administration: Windows or Linux.
Because SRE Technical Managers are expected to pair with and coach other SREs, we seek candidates that have a level of proficiency or are willing to learn to achieve a mix of the following:
- Technical leadership and management of small engineering teams (5-10 people).
- Setting direction for a team by setting goals, communicating effectively, leading change, and understanding/implementing strategy.
- A lead by example leadership style.
- Working with multiple peer groups to achieving business goals, setting and championing good practices and proven standards.
- Using pair-programming techniques.
- Operating and engineering production services to meet their availability requirements.
- Using software testing frameworks following TDD and BDD approaches.
- Automating software build, deployment and server configuration management using tools such as puppet, chef and jenkins.
- Windows and Linux system administration, databases (relational and NoSQL), web servers (Apache, IIS), networking and storage technologies.
- Cloud technologies and platforms such as AWS or Azure.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top