Site Reliability Engineer
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise needed to find trusted answers. We are seeking a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Financial & Risk division and assume responsibility for ensuring the global availability of our most important Real-Time products and services. We place a high degree of trust and responsibility in the hands of our SREs. While it is likely that no SRE will possess all of the skills on this page, we are seeking for individuals who have the required core-skills, will master some, and are willing to learn the vast majority.
Will you join us?
The SRE Role
SREs are engineers with the right mix of knowledge and skills in software engineering (i.e. Programming, data structures and algorithms) and systems engineering (i.e. applying scientific principles of experimentation and observation to entire systems to improve reliability, performance and operability). We constantly evaluate our products before and after production releases to prevent, identify and fix problems that impact service availability in deploying, configuring, monitoring, recovering, and scaling.
We dedicate at least 50% of our time 'engineering away' problems both directly and through pairing and mentoring and work side-by-side with other SREs in our team, applying software engineering principles to resolve problems impacting service uptime or our operational efficiency.
Our SRE Culture
To accomplish our mission and continue to build our internal DevOps culture, we embrace and are strong advocates of the CALMS framework. We seek to eliminate manual and repetitive operations tasks at every opportunity by exploiting open source tools, contributing to open source projects and building new tools when required. We value technical curiosity, creative thinking and a great learning ability above proficiency with a specific toolset.
As an SRE you will:
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of Real-Time services—from inception and design, through automation, operation and refinement
- Design and build solutions to improve system operability
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by implementing changes that improve reliability and velocity
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems analysing incidents, applying critical thinking and providing creative solutions
Required Core Skills for all SREs:
- Systems configuration and administration: Windows or Linux
- Analyzing and discovering how all components of a distributed system work together using a broad range of skills and tools.
Possess or will learn quickly:
- Applying an evidence based approach to solving system problems and in real time to provide the fastest path to service recovery
- System and software configuration management using tools such as Puppet, Chef or Ansible
- Cloud technologies and platforms such as AWS or Azure using API or configuration tools
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top