Senior User Experience (UX) Designer
Thomson Reuters Labs – Cape Town is based in the Bandwidth Barn in the vibrant district of Woodstock in the shared innovation ecosystem within the Woodstock Exchange. We share an open and collaborative workspace with innovation leaders such as Barclays, PWC, Telkom, the Bitcoin Academy and a host of exciting startups.
What do we do? We experiment. We partner with our customers, universities and startups to discover what new products, services, or analysis we can create together to accelerate the development of the knowledge economy in Africa.
You might be familiar with Reuters News, but you might not know that Thomson Reuters is also one of the leading sources of information for the world's top companies in finance, risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science, and media.
There will be lots of ideas and ideation and we'll need to translate those ideas to compelling visuals. That's where you come in.
We are looking for a Senior User Experience Designer to champion the rapid prototyping and high-fidelity design excellence from new ideas to commercial products and services.
Senior User Experience Designer
Our Senior User Experience Designer is a visionary product and service design leader. This individual will be responsible for leading the design of user experience excellence of new concept products and services across variety of businesses, screens and platforms. This role requires a highly creative individual at pace with the latest experience design and technology trends as well as and a strong advocate of Design Thinking. The candidate will also be a natural innovator in smart and high quality designs, using real world metaphors, interactions, gestures, and gamification models around heavy data to create rich and delightful experiences. This is an opportunity to influence and develop new businesses across the company with smart and custom experiences that showcase innovation across any touch-point.
- Collaborate with developers, scientists, and external partners like startups and organizations on building new business ideas.
- Create rapid and iterative prototyping for a variety of ideas and concepts.
- Identify use cases, define personas, scenarios and tasks in support of business requirements, technology, and context of use.
- Collect, translate and communicate customer insight to teams with user surveys, interviews, and qualitative data.
- Lead the implementation of innovative, end-to-end user experiences.
- Support the Head of Strategic Partnerships & Innovation with presentation layouts and rapid prototyping to pitch new ideas to leadership and external partners.
- Create and run ideation workshops in support of new product explorations
- Inspire and provide creative direction to designers working within the business units to deliver products that are useful, easy-to-use, innovative, and efficiently built.
- Evaluate the user experience design of existing design concepts as well as on-device prototypes, and communicate design enhancements.
- Advocate for customer-centered, context-aware, responsive web design and platform-specific design as key to Thomson Reuters competitive advantage.
- Define and produce design guidelines, templates, visual asset and pattern libraries.
- Demonstrate adaptability to changing priorities driven by the speed of our innovative, fast-paced, information services industry.
- 3 years minimum of expertise in user experience design or user interface design.
- Design knowledge of iOS, Android, HTML5 responsive design.
- Understanding of lean user experience design methodology, user behaviors, and design requirements.
- Knowledge of general design strategies and trends
- Bonus experience designing for a wearable, virtual/augmented reality, auto, connected devices, or other new technology.
- Bonus expertise with front-end HTML development.
- Expertise in rapid prototyping, wireframing, presentation and high-fidelity design tools such as Sketch, Axure, Invision, Marvelapp, Motion, ProtoIO, Lightroom, Omnigraffle, Balsamik, InDesign, Fireworks, Photoshop, or other.
- Ability to work with development teams to execute best design solutions within technology constraints
- Customer-centric, creative leadership.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Degree in Human Factors Engineering, Visual Design, or Product Design (or equivalent skills)
Please note that as an internal applicant, to apply for this role you are obliged to notify your current manager. You will however be able to have an initial discussion with the recruitment manager about the role in complete confidence. Apart from exceptional circumstances, employees are expected to remain in their current role for a minimum period of 12 to 18 months before actively seeking another internal position. If you have any questions please speak with the Recruiter for this position.
Thomson Reuters is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals, and to do that, we seek talented, qualified employees regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other protected classification. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own. More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on: www.thomsonreuters.com.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top