Senior Technical Specialist
A technical leader within the Asia Delivery organization responsible for the analysis, definition, design, construction, testing, installation, modification, and maintenance of properly engineered information systems
- Provides technical oversight while writing new software, making modifications to existing software, or integrating software applications and modules in accordance with agreed upon specifications, often created with their leadership.
- Defines and leads overall testing requirements and strategies ensuring software fully meets business, technical and operational requirements. Explores design options and leads the creation of design and accountable to ensure business and technical requirements are met.
- Accountable for the creation, review, and maintenance of all required technical documentation/manual related to assigned software to ensure supportability and reuse.
- Reviews work of peers and more junior developers
- Provides technical or general guidance to team members as well as across teams in area of subject matter expertise by possessing in-depth knowledge of a technical discipline or area. May act as point of contact or a subject matter expert for technical issues for a specific work stream within a larger project.
- Provides wider feedback into performance with a special focus on technical competencies
- Provides technical mentorship and coaching to junior members of the technical staff.
- Gives advice to middle management on functional matters, or on the interpretation of policies and practices.
- Assists in identification and implementation of short-term and long-term solution options, including risk assessments, and recommendations to business and technology leadership.
- Proactive identification of change or assists with improvements to prevent problems, including problem resolution workflow.
- Leads or participates in remediation of solutions. Will drive and implement recommended solutions and follows up with business leaders and/or customers to ensure expectations are met.
- Accountable for immediate response to problems and sets expectations and timeframe for resolution with customers or groups managing customers.
- May lead a small cross team/cross region projects. Coordinates and supports related groups, such as but not limited to documentation teams, quality assurance teams, customer support teams or operations/deployment teams.
- Provides technical leadership, and may lead project planning sessions with team members to define and analyze development requirements, provide design option, and provide work breakdown and estimates of work.
- Provides work breakdown and estimates for complex software development tasks.
- Develops milestones and dependencies for realistic estimates required for own work, and may validate other team members' estimates.
- Facilitates discussions, actively listens, identifies, and communicates issues. Adept at all aspects of technical communications, including using presentations technologies (e.g.WebEx, PowerPoint) and software demonstrations.
- Designs and delivers demonstrations of software to business and technical stakeholders.
- Creates and delivers presentations with guidance as directed. Encourages two-way communication with staff, peers, and business partners. May contribute to, or create, and execute communication plan.
- Researches and identifies standards and best practices as appropriate for discipline. Ensures development of software using disciplined software development processes, adhering to team/company standards and software best practice guidelines, and corporate policies
Scope and Impact
- Works independently with minimum technical and management guidance, taking ownership of problems within own area of knowledge. Key responsibility areas are reviewed by technical leadership.
- Reviews work from previous levels.
- Provides parameters for previous levels.
- Accountable for the quality of own work, delivered within agreed procedures and timeframes and focused on internal and/or external customer needs.
- Understands the short term and long-term impact of decisions within the broader scope, especially with respect to technical matters.
- Reviews and may approve decisions of junior engineers as appropriate. May make guided decisions on personnel issues.
- Identifies the need for decisions, provides guidelines for solutions, and takes ownership of outcome.
- Improves the quality of development in the organizations and promotes best development practices,
- Identifies areas of improvement within immediate area on an on-going basis.
- Provides technical input/feedback on performance and skills, and may lead performance and talentmanagement for team with management guidance.
- Provides technical leadership to a small to medium technical team in partnership with management.
- Serves as technical mentor, assesses technical skills of team members, and provides/ recommends training/coaching/mentoring.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Have credible and clearly demonstrable accomplishments in ALL or Most of the Scope and Responsibilities outlined in the above sections.
- Has solid to expert experience in one or more programming languages ( C and Java ), software engineering methodologies, software development tools.
- Experience of unit testing, code management tools and design tools.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good collaborative problem-solving capabilities with demonstrable abilities to influence peoples and processes.
- Requires working knowledge of business application and software code base.
- Has understanding of leadership techniques and practical experience implementing skills
- Working knowledge of Project Management
- Demonstrable capability of ability to effectively present information for discussion (technical, project status, and issues) across various diverse audiences, including higher levels within the business.
- Has knowledge of industry standards and ability to translate/apply research into the business needs.
- Demonstrable prior experience in providing technical leadership for developers on projects with multi-function and/or multi-regional impact
- Demonstrable prior experience in leverages the skills and knowledge of team members to maximize team effectiveness.
Certifications / Education
- Masters and above in technology stream. Specialization preferred
- Management experience a plus (This position WILL NOT involve direct management of people )
- Proficient and experienced in formal software development lifecycle, drives proactive decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to apply and learn technical knowledge and provide appropriate options for solving business needs.
- Experience driving and managing or providing options for technical support solutions to customers.
- Experience contributing to project management process to make it successful or matrix leading small team of technologists.
- Experience leading small team of technologists preferred.
- All of the above for over 8 years ( demonstrable )
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent Influencing skills
- Excellent Collaborating across Boundaries skills
- Experienced in Driving Results
- Experienced in Driving Technological change.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top