Senior Storage Engineer
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
The Storage Services team within the Data Center Operations (DCO) group has the unique opportunity to shape the way automation tools are incorporated into the SAN/NAS/Backup storage infrastructure to provide better service to DCO's internal and external customers.
To achieve success, this position will need to work closely with Architecture, Support, Delivery, and Automation teams to ensure that the automated processes created meet defined technology requirements and are supportable on a large scale. This position will also be responsible for partnering with vendors to understand technology trends and how they can be used to improve automation initiatives and meet Thomson Reuter's businesses technology requirements.
Major Areas of Accountability
Technology/ Development (70%)
- Leads the development and engineering efforts to create a storage client capable of harvesting required metrics from Storage Infrastructure.
- Identifies potential automation efforts, and works with required teams within DCO to develop processes that will be called during the automation execution.
- Governs the storage environment to ensure compliance to defined standards and operational procedures
- Writing technical specifications, program documentation, and unit test plans for all work performed
- Stays informed of current and emerging technologies and storage trends, in order to advice and counsel on their potential strategic value.
Leadership & Communication (10%)
- Ability to translate highly technical solutions/problems to audiences at varying technical levels
- Strong ability to prepare and present technical documentation
Management & Administration (10%)
- Ability to contribute, influence and direct a variety of projects concurrently
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals
- Partner with Operational Readiness and architects on new technologies
- Continuous service improvement through the delivery of process, scripts, automation and operational efficiencies.
Business Acumen and Strategy (10%)
- Proactively generates relevant ideas for new and improved use of technology
- Understands technical impact to new projects and supported systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science highly desired or related discipline
- 2 years technology experience
- Storage Development experience in large enterprise class storage environments
- Proven ability to influence and interact effectively with peers and IT leaders
- Experience with Web Services, REST, SOAP, JSON, XML
- Experience with Source Code Control tools
- Scripts proficiently using Python, Poweshell or Perl
- Experience with full life cycle development: requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding, unit testing, and acceptance testing
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills including both oral and written proficiency for technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Highly accountable for meeting all commitments and deadlines
- Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Drive for continuous process improvement
- Experience with NetApp WFA (Workflow Automation) tool
- Experience with NetApp DFM/OCUM tools
- Experience with Storage and Server Virtualization
- Experience with DB2, Oracle, or SQL Server databases
- Experience with API versioning strategies
- Performance testing, analysis, and tuning experience
- Experience working in large scale Enterprise data center environments.
- Experience with enterprise class storage infrastructure including, but not limited to: NetApp, EMC (V-Max, VNX), HDS (VSP, USPV), SAN Fabric Technologies, EMC Avamar, TSM, Netbackup
- Strong functional knowledge in one of the following OS platforms: Linux, Solaris or Windows.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top