Senior SQL DBA
Behind every great on-line eCommerce site and technology service is an equally great database. These databases provide mission critical data processing services and it takes highly skilled DBA's to build and maintain these systems. To meet the challenges of our fast growing business products and services lines, we need to grow our DBA team. We're looking for exceptional DBA's who are interested in using the latest database technologies to deliver industry leading systems, with results that go directly to the bottom line.
Thomson Reuters (TR) is the world's largest international multimedia company. The technology organization within TR is a centralized unit providing shared software and services to TR business units across the globe. We are looking to add a Senior Database Engineer to our SQL Support database team. This global team interacts directly with key technical groups, collaborating to implement change and provide support for major databases systems that deliver data to the critical, revenue generating applications that drive the TR business. These systems rely upon MS SQL and Sybase database software running on versions of Windows operating systems.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Provide primary support for critical, complex production MS SQL databases
- Troubleshoot, investigate and drive resolution of incidents
- Work closely with internal technical teams during incident resolution and root cause analysis
- Coordinate interaction with vendors, creating service requests and escalating as needed to ensure timely resolution
- Provide problem management and resolution for repeat issues
- Make recommendations and contribute to the design and development of long-term solutions
- Respond to inquiries from business partners related to performance, application errors, storage capacity, etc.
- Review and execute medium to low risk changes including DDL, database configuration changes, patching, and well defined, well documented upgrades
- Participate in new system builds; create databases, schemas and deploy standard jobs and monitoring
- Through review and solid handoffs, ensure system supportability prior to production utilization
- Adhere to documented change and incident management policies
- Use established Shared Services support processes and tools to document and track problem resolution
- Develop technical documentation for use in future incident resolution
- Provide support outside of normal office hours only on rare occasions (emergency and infrequent pre-planned occurrences)
Ongoing Education and Training
- Learn and stay current on the features and functionality of MS SQL databases, focusing on technology to improve performance, availability, reliability, stability and work efficiencies.
- Learn and stay current on standard database solutions designed by the Systems Engineering Database group.
Leadership and Communication (15%)
- Translate highly technical solutions/problems into clear language useful to audiences at varying technical levels
- Prepare high quality technical documentation, present it clearly to interested parties
- Communicate in a professional manner when interacting across staff levels and internal/external customers
- Mentor and coach database engineers
- Research and develop team leadership skills.
Management and Administration (5%)
- Contribute to and influence a variety of work streams concurrently
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals
- Participate in initiatives to define, measure, and report on database quality and stability
Business Acumen and Strategy (10%)
- Has broad knowledge of Thomson Reuters product lines and supported technologies
- Proactively generates relevant ideas for new and improved operations or use of technology
- Understands the impact of new projects and technical impacts to supported systems
- Collaborates with peers, Design & Engineering DBAs and managers to determine system strategy and how best to implement and support it
- Bachelor's Degree - Computer Science, technical or engineering degree preferred
- 5+ years experience providing 24x7 support for MS SQL 2005/2008/2012/2014/2016 on windows (2008/2012/2016 preferred)
- Strong quantitative, analytical, communication and verbal skills with a strong customer service focus
- Ability to problem solve in high pressure situations
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently toward assigned goals
- Preferable 2+ years experience with batch scripting
- Preferable 2+ years in a development or support organization supporting large applications
- Work Shift : 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM CST
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Ann Arbor-Michigan-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top