Senior Software Engineer - Java
At Thomson Reuters, we deliver intelligent information quickly and efficiently, so professionals have knowledge to act. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, scientific, healthcare, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our MIS team in Ann Arbor, MI. The MIS team maintains and develops enhancements for the company-wide enterprise management system, CRM tool, and other applications.
The Senior Software Engineer will develop and support MIS applications including the internally developed EMS, Flash, IT applications, as well as providing Web Services for external products and websites. This position requires an individual who can successfully work in a dynamic work environment where priorities change based on current business needs. Deadline driven project assignments and our iterative approach to development processes require a professional with excellent communication skills. Candidates must have experience working with Java, JEE, XML, and Web Services (SOAP, WSDL). Familiarity with the Eclipse IDE, design patterns, Swing, and JBoss is highly desired.
- Design and deliver components for internal applications, primarily the EMS & FLASH applications and Web Services for external products and websites
- Complete unit testing for Java components
- Analyze and/or create business requirements, documentation and technical specifications in conjunction with MIS Business Analysts and our internal customers.
- Lead project development teams
- As a member of the operational support team provide rapid response and issue resolution to the business teams for production issues
- Refine knowledge in all MIS-supported systems to gain a more well-rounded understanding of overall company processes
- Build solid working relationships with MIS team members as well as collaborating with internal customers
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years of experience (6 to 8 years)
- Expert-level Java skills and design experience, including significant knowledge of core libraries and common design patterns (6 - 8 years)
- JEE and EJB experience
- XML and Web Services (SOAP, WSDL) experience
- Solid experience using OO and JEE design patterns and software best practices
- Proven leadership skills with a track record of mentoring teammates and ability to set project goals and delegate tasks
- Strong knowledge of SQL and relational database concepts including ability to work with DBAs to develop schemas and DB code
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (ability to communicate effectively with MIS technical staff, Business Analysts, management, and business team members)
- Dynamic thinker, a problem solver
- Ability to work well in a flexible development environment
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to plan and prioritize work effectively
- Exemplary customer service skills
Additional Experience Preferred:
- Oracle Java Certification
- Familiarity with the Eclipse IDE
- JBoss experience
- Crystal Reports/Business Objects experience
- C# experience
- Linux experience
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters core values?
Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top