Senior Software Engineer, Java
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position: Senior Software Engineer, Java
Department: Finance and Risk
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Position reports to: Development Manager
Position supervises: No Supervisory Responsibilities
The Software Developer is responsible for developing high quality, cross-browser, single page web applications using Java, Sprint and Hibernate.
Working with likeminded, skilled engineers, solving complex problems and delivering great software to support successful, award-winning products. Using Scrum, working within a cross-functional, collaborative Agile department, you'll be working as a team to deliver working software every sprint in this fast paced environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Designing and implementing product features and functionality
- Developing high quality code
- Build the libraries and frameworks that support large, complex applications within Risk Technology
- Work as part of an Agile Scrum team on multiple challenging development problems. As a member of a Scrum team, developers will be expected to participate in development planning exercises, pair programming, refinements and manage their own task load.
- Deliver clean, maintainable code we can be confident in using approaches such as Test Driven Development (TDD) and Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)
Essential Skills and Experience:
- A technical mindset with good understanding of algorithms, data structures, design patterns.
- A belief that TDD and BDD is there to help development and allow beautiful code to take shape and grow.
- Solid knowledge of Agile development practices.
- Solid communication skills.
- A willingness and an ability to share best practice and improve processes.
- Strong Java development knowledge – specifically good clean testable Java
- Experience of Spring and Hibernate, including Spring security and annotations.
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful web services.
- Solid Database Knowledge
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience working with User Experience and QA teams
- Experience of Agile development practices
- Good communication skills, verbal and written.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects, time and resources.
- Ability to work with specific deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal skills; the ability to handle objections and counter feedback professionally.
- BA/BS in related field or commensurate work experience
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top