Senior Software Engineer
We are looking for great Senior Java/Scala Developers. We are passionate about finding someone who is smart, dedicated, a self-starter, and a great cultural fit for our team – we love the "can do" attitude. If you are not already, this role will allow you to become an expert in Java/Scala and various other technologies we use. We are building large scale distributed applications that use Machine Learning and NLP to process very large volume of documents, extract various entities and classify documents in various ways in support of multiple Thomson Reuters business units.
- 7 years of experience in Scala or Java programming
- Excellent understanding of OO languages
- A strong knowledge of Java or Scala. If you do not already know Scala, you have a strong determination to learn it
- Architectural understanding of N-tier web applications and cloud native applications
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to adhere to development processes and deliver high quality code on time including CI, Merge requests, Peer reviews, automation.
- Working knowledge of popular open-source Java/Scala frameworks, including Spring, Play, ElasticSearch, etc.
- Experience with Hadoop/Spark and ecosystem
- Experience and familiarity with functional languages and functional programming
- Working knowledge and experience with Linux
- Experience with Machine Learning for NLP or other
- Experience in leading not necessarily as formal manager
Nice To Have:
- Experience with DevOps ecosystems (Docker, VMs, SBT, Maven, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience with Agile software methodologies and continuous integration/deployment
- Experience building high-traffic, scalable and high performance systems
- A GitHub account that has active contributions
- A personal blog recapping about your many coding conquests
- Write new software, makes modifications to existing software, or integrates software applications and modules in accordance with agreed upon specifications, built in partnership with others
- Build and execute unit testing and integration testing ensuring software meets requirements.
- Contribute or lead to the creation of design.
- May provide technical support to operations or other development teams.
- Build, review, and maintain all required technical documentation/ manual related to assigned software to ensure supportability and reuse.
- Review work of peers and more junior developers.
- Provide wider feedback into performance
- Assist in identification and implementation of short-term and long-term solution options, including risk assessments.
- Assist with improvements to prevent problems, including problem resolution workflow.
- Participate in remediation solutions.
- Participate in project planning sessions with team members to analyze development requirements, provide design options, and provide work breakdown of work.
- Provide estimates for various software development tasks.
- Provide timely status updates for areas of individual responsibilities within projects to supervisor
- Actively participate in scrum team and ceremonies.
- Demonstrate software as requested
- Develop software using well-adapted software development processes, adhering to team/company standards and software best practice guidelines, and corporate policies.
- Development ownership of QA
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top