Senior Software Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial, risk, legal, accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organisation.
Position: Senior Software Engineer
The Financial & Risk business unit is the home for Thomson Reuters electronic trading capabilities. The goal of the division is to be the number one choice of trading venue for any participant operating in the financial markets.
You will join a vibrant and high performing team of outstanding technologists, executing on a Big Data initiative that is set to revolutionise our operation both internally and for our customers. This is an opportunity to build skills in Big Data technologies like Scala, experience in these is not essential. Training will be available for the successful candidate. You will be working in a global organisation with development groups and business stakeholders in several international locations. Therefore, good communication skills are crucial.
You will have deep technical skills, be able to quickly grasp and contribute to existing codebases and express design concepts. Your key responsibilities will be the implementation and automated testing of new aspects of our strategic Big Data project. You will need to:
- Contribute to an Agile planning process
- Regularly interacting directly with product stakeholders
- Giving demos of new functionality
- Upholding rigorous quality standards
- Perform Unit and Integration testing of your code
- Undertake a 3rd line support role
Required Skills and Experience:
- Exemplary Scala or Java programming skills
- Good understanding of functional programming paradigms
- Unit Testing (Including mock objects)
- Continuous Integration (e.g. Gitlab, Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Proficient with GIT SCM
- Self-motivated, consistent high performer
- Team player
- Excellent academic record with a strong degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related discipline from a recognised institution
- Commercial experience in the field of software engineering
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Understanding or willingness to learn Big Data technologies, specifically Hadoop, Scala, Spark, Impala, Hive, Kafka, HBase & Oozie.
- Experience using SBT, Gradle build tools
- Proficient with SQL
- Automated deployment (Puppet, RPM)
- Automated testing techniques
- Proficient in Linux/Unix
- Understanding of the Financial Markets and their practices
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top