Senior Software Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Business Unit: News Technology Group
This role is part of the News Technology Group. A key part of our news file is the production of very time sensitive "News Alerts" and news stories that inform the global financial markets about the changing fortunes of major global companies. These stories and alerts have always been among the most valuable information on the world's trading floors and meet the emerging needs of algorithmic / program trading and are driving increased competition.
Position Title:Senior Software Engineer
Requisition No: JREQ084705
Location: South Colonnade, London UK
This is a position for a Senior Developer/Engineer to work on News Collection and Publishing with an emphasis on the special techniques required for low latency acquisition of data from lockups. In this role, you will be providing architectural insight, mentorship, and programming for machine readable news, on-boarding of low latency content such as economic indicators, distribution, web-scraping, and real-time networking technologies. You will work with technologies such as XML, HTML, XSLT, JSON, and PDF, knowledge of their application in industry standards such as NewMLG2 is a plus. These capabilities will be technology enablers for the Platform's vision to provide the world's most reliable, accurate and insightful news.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Participating in project/work planning sessions with to analyse requirements.
- Understanding requirements to the level of being able to contribute to their creation, in collaboration with capability/product and/or business owners.
- Developing and integrating applications per written specifications. May be responsible for writing design specifications and architectural diagrams.
- Translating technical requirements into application code and modules.
- Testing low-latency lockup techniques in a lab setting
- Making modifications to existing applications and modules in accordance with written specifications
- Unit testing and implementing application modules they have developed or modified, ensuring application meets needs of business.
- Taking part in reviews of own work, and the work of colleagues.
- Support operational teams with system maintenance, such as upgrading, fall back, patching, etc.
- Collections & Distributions developers and QA personnel in addition to Automations.
- Capability/Product and Project managers for NewsTech.
- Support personnel in a Devops environment.
- Architectural and Development resource from F&R
Essential Skills and Experience:
- C/C on Linux and Windows
- Basic knowledge of high performance programming.
- Practical experience in using IP-based protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, Multicast).
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Software design, development and testing, including practical experience in Design Patterns and OOAD.
- Java, C#, Python
- .NET Core & Framework
- Bachelors or higher in Computer Science, Math, or Engineering
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top