Senior Software Engineer
Come join a team of creative and innovative software developers dedicated to working on the publishing and distribution of Thomson Reuters news content. You and your team will collaborate to build systems and APIs that deliver news content to multiple products, enabling our customers to find the answers they are looking for.
As part of this team, you will have the opportunity to use extraordinary development skills, and learn and grow in technologies like Big Data, search engines, and recommendation systems.
You will be responsible for all development aspects of the NewsRoom systems. Specifically, you will design and implement various systems that support NewsRoom publishing and application access. As a team member, you will interpret business requirements and delegate development work among peers. You would be required to work with partner teams including, but not limited to: Product Management, Quality Assurance, Project Management, Content Operations, and Operations Support. Active participation is required in daily and weekly status meetings. You should possess the ability to identify solutions for complex problems, as well as demonstrate the desire to attain domain knowledge of the products you build and support.
- Active application development using Java 8.
- Participate in technical design reviews, functional specification reviews, and contribute to development project estimates, scheduling, test plans, and code reviews.
- Actively resolve potential problems/issues including authoring of technical specifications.
- Regularly inform manager or team lead on progress of project, identifying risks early in the process.
- Build and maintain Unit Tests.
- Collaborate with QA team on test automation.
- Work with Continuous Integration Environments, such as Jenkins, and automated deployment tools.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 4 years of experience and experienced knowledge of: Oracle/SQL, Linux Scripts, Java, with at least 1 year of experience with Java 8.
- Solid background in software engineering discipline.
- Understanding of Agile methods and practical experience.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with HBase.
- Experience with Elasticsearch.
- Experience with Message Queues, such as Rabbit, Active, or IBM.
- Knowledge of building low latency delivery systems.
- Experience with cloud services, such as AWS or Azure.
- Knowledge and experience of the NewsML-G2 standard.
- Agile methods with practical experience.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or related field
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top