Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters Finance & Risk is looking to add a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to our new World-Check One team at our new Technology Centre in Toronto, Ontario. We have recently announced the expansion of our Canadian operations with the creation of a new technology center in downtown Toronto, Ontario. Toronto is home to an emerging ecosystem of world-class technology talent and the new Technology Center will be the preeminent hub of innovation. Our plan is to create around 1,500 technology and operations jobs in the coming few years, starting with an initial tranche of 400 roles at the new Centre.
The Site Reliability Engineer should have the ability to deliver high quality work on time in a high-energy environment while collaborating and brainstorming with other developers in a dynamic team environment. A combination of strong planning, organization, time management skills, and the ability to handle multiple projects are key. The Site Reliability Engineer will also contribute to the maintenance and support of production systems as necessary.
At Thomson Reuters our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team is responsible for ensuring the global availability of critical customer facing products and services.
The SRE Role
- SREs are engineers with the right mix of knowledge and skills in software (i.e. programming, data structures and algorithms) and systems (i.e. operating software on internal and external infrastructure at scale).
- We constantly evaluate products and services before and after production releases to prevent, identify and fix problems that impact service availability in deploying, configuring, releasing, monitoring, recovering, and scaling.
- We participate in on-call rotations to monitor and support our products and services, taking recovery actions prior to and after disruptions
- We dedicate at least 50% of our time applying software engineering principles to resolve problems impacting service uptime or our operational efficiency
Our SRE Culture
- To accomplish our mission and continue to build our internal DevOps culture, we embrace and are strong advocates of the CALMS framework.
- We seek to eliminate manual and repetitive operations tasks at every opportunity by exploiting open source tools, contributing to open source projects and building new tools when required.
- We value technical aptitude, innovative thinking and a great learning ability above proficiency with a specific toolset.
Core SRE Skills
- Experienced using software testing frameworks following TDD and BDD approaches.
- Experienced automating software build, deployment and server configuration management using tools such as puppet, chef and jenkins.
- Expertise in Windows and Linux system administration, databases (relational and NoSQL), web servers (Apache, IIS), networking and storage technologies.
- Experience with Cloud technologies and platforms such as AWS or Azure.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top