Senior Photographer (Level 1 Journalist)
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world's largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day. Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national, and international news to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world's media organizations, and directly to consumers at Reuters.com.
This Washington-based Reuters Senior Staff Photographer position (Level One Journalist) covers domestic politics and international news at the White House, on Capitol Hill and in Washington on a daily basis in a highly competitive news environment that is rarely out of the international spotlight. The job entails frequent travel around the country and the world with the President of the United States representing Reuters in the White House travel pool. An ability to network and develop relationships with officials and important contacts that will result in access and fair treatment is crucial. The photographer will also frequently cover other news events and feature stories in the region. Duties will also at times include shifts working the Washington News Pictures desk as an assignment and picture editor.
The successful applicant will produce top quality news photography in Washington and across the USA, working in close collaboration with Reuters Washington photo editors and staff photographers as well as editors on the North American Pictures Desk in Toronto to contribute highly competitive pictures to the Reuters News Pictures file for U.S. and global subscribers. The photographer must enthusiastically embrace working with colleagues on a close- knit wire service team to produce a top notch report. This position is offered on local terms.
- Excellent photojournalism and editing skills proven by at last 5 years work experience as a full-time photojournalist
- An understanding of wire service clients and market needs both domestically and internationally
- Excellent news judgment as well as a good knowledge of US politics and government
- The ability to tell stories through pictures, producing picture packages and picture stories as well as capturing individual defining moments
- A unique "eye", able to compose interesting pictures on the fly and produce a well-rounded report of pictures during fast changing news events
- Experience and ability to compete at the highest level working under high pressure against tight deadlines, transmitting photos on the run via wifi, cellular modems and satellite phones
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well in team environments Fluency in English with the ability to write clear, error-free captions
- Proficiency and expertise working with current photo editing and transmitting software
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Washington-District of Columbia-United States of America
Req #: JREQ086550
Locations: Washington-District of Columbia-United States of America
Job Function: News & Editorial
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top