Senior Network Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Senior Network Engineer
Product or Service:
The Transactions Platform Group develops, deploys and supports transactional Foreign Exchange trading software across a number of asset classes. These systems utilize a wide range of technical infrastructure which is deployed within Thomson Reuters and hosted data centres and at customer sites. The products are made up of numerous infrastructure components and rely on complex global network connectivity to ensure the delivery of fast, reliable and secure services.
You will join a Network team whose remit covers the whole of the Transactions product line including low latency FX trading environments. You will be expected to build up a strong knowledge and understanding of Thomson Reuters Foreign Exchange Trading systems and the infrastructure, teams, tools and processes supporting them. You should build on this to support customer facing teams to allow them to provide the best possible service to Thomson Reuters' customers.
It is expected that you will establish a strong working relationship with other key teams in Thomson Reuters.
The role is based in Nottingham; however you will need to be capable of working with staff in all centres and be prepared for occasional travel to other locations if required by business need.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Develop a deep understanding of the network infrastructure underlying Transactions Products
- Lead the analysis, definition, design, construction, testing, installation and modification of medium to large infrastructures.
- Contribute to technical governance of infrastructures.
- Investigate and troubleshoot network issues in test and production environments
- Perform detailed network traffic analysis in Wireshark
- Produce network device configurations for test and production environments
- Produce project and support documentation, such as high and low level network designs and operations run books
- Lead or work on multiple projects with varying levels of complexity and act as oversight and escalation of lower levels.
- Configure deploy and support the following devices:
- Cisco switches (NX-OS and IOS) (this is a key strength)
- F5 application delivery controllers (including iRules / LTM / AFM) (this is a key strength)
- Firewalls (Cisco ASA, Checkpoint, Palo Alto)
- Arista switches
- Packet broker / aggregation
- Corvil and Extrahop monitoring tools
- Niksun NetVCR
- Sourcefire IDS
- Shared infrastructure network, storage, security, private cloud
- Service management
- Application development
- Enterprise architecture
- Customer facing 1st level helpdesk and 2nd level technical support teams
- Equipment Vendors
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Significant experience in a senior network engineer role or equivalent
- Significant experience Analysing and troubleshooting network issues
- Strong background and experience with Cisco routing and switching technologies and F5 application delivery controllers
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals, Layer 2 fundamentals, and packet level analysis
- Basic understanding of HTTP/SSL connectivity and certificate management.
- Good knowledge of internetworking protocols such as EIGRP, BGP, NAT, IPsec. HSRP, VRRP
- Understanding of network security concepts and deployments
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Basic understanding of packet aggregation and monitoring tools
- Basic UNIX server troubleshooting skills – network interfaces and resource use
- Good experience of low latency trading environments
- Cisco and F5 certification are desirable
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top