Senior Legal Editor, Public Sector Service / Municipal Law
Practical Law is looking for a Municipal Law Senior Legal Editor to create new online content that will help local government lawyers practice more efficiently.
The central and most critical responsibility of this Senior Legal Editor position is to research, write, edit, publish and update on-line content for Practical Law's state and local government subscribers. Our content includes practice guidance notes, checklists, and standard forms, all of which are written in accordance with Practical Law's unique writing style.
In addition, the Senior Legal Editor will:
- Collaborate with the other editors on Practical Law's Public Sector Service to peer review, improve, and organize newly-written content, as well as plan for and organize future content needs and priorities;
- Coordinate and collaborate with other Practical Law editorial teams on content planning and creation, as well as on other Practical Law and Thomson Reuters initiatives;
- Establish and maintain relationships with municipal law practitioners (in government and private practice) who can contribute new content for Practical Law to publish;
- Write and edit content for Practical Law's companion print magazine, Practical Law - The Journal;
- Stay informed of current developments and issues of local government law and practice to ensure timely updates to existing content and the development of new content;
- Develop relationships with lawyers in local government and private practice to ensure that our content for government is topical and meets the needs of municipal law practitioners;
- Organize and/or conduct webinars on topics of interest for local government lawyers;
- Assist with sales demonstrations and marketing initiatives, as requested by the Director of the Public Sector Service; and
- Assist with other Thomson Reuters products in which Practical Law is foundational, as requested by the Director of the Public Sector Service.
About Practical Law
Practical Law, a Thomson Reuters business, is a leading online provider of legal know-how. We help government and private lawyers save time and practice more efficiently. We deliver our content to governmental entities, companies, law firms, and law schools. Our subscribers include government entities on the federal, state and local levels, most major international law firms and corporations, including approximately 85% of the Am Law 200, hundreds of small and mid-size firms, and over 1,300 legal departments worldwide. For more information about Practical Law see our website at us.practicallaw.tr.com.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Candidates should have at least the following skills and experience:
- Juris Doctor.
- At least six years' experience working as either: (1) a government lawyer on the state and/or local level, with a strong focus on the legal issues affecting cities, counties and/or other local government entities, or (2) a private practitioner specializing in municipal or government law and representing state and/or local governmental entities.
- Candidates must have strong practice experience in general municipal law matters, such as:
- Powers and authorities of local government entities;
- Drafting and interpreting ordinances;
- Code enforcement;
- Open meetings and public records laws;
- General contracts and procurement transactions;
- Advising government officials and entities.
- Ideal candidates will also have strong expertise in one or more of the following substantive areas:
- Section 1983 and other matters of government liability;
- Zoning, land use and permitting;
- Municipal finance (ideally with exposure to the issuance of municipal bonds);
- Business and economic development;
- Labor and employment matters that affect local government employers;
- Public works and utilities (including solid waste, traffic engineering, public infrastructure projects);
- Environmental law;
- Public transportation systems and aviation;
- Public safety (e.g., law enforcement, corrections, EMS, emergency management);
- Federal Constitutional law.
- A sophisticated understanding of the needs and priorities of lawyers who advise state and/or local governmental entities.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a sincere desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- The ability to work seamlessly and selflessly with others.
- It is critical that candidates have a real passion for writing and very strong writing and editing skills, including:
- Very close attention to detail;
- Excellent command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- The ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
Primary location is Washington, DC area. Will consider candidates in other locations in the United States working remotely/from home.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top