Senior Legal Editor Privacy & Data Security
Date Posted: March 14, 2017
Location: 333 Bay Street – Toronto
Senior Legal Editor Privacy & Data Security
(This position has the ability to be a remote position and may be located in a home office)
Practical Law is looking for a Canadian editor with expertise in privacy and data security/protection law.
This position is responsible for:
- developing ideas for privacy and data security content for US, UK, and Canadian practitioners and businesses that address law and practice which will be published on Practical Law's online services;
- establishing, maintaining, and managing extensive relationships with external law firm contributors who have expertise on privacy and data security issues;
- drafting, writing and editing resources, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes, and checklists in accordance with Practical Law writing style;
- writing and editing content for Practical Law's companion print magazine, Practical Law The Journal;
- developing relationships with law firm lawyers, in-house counsel, and industry groups to ensure that Practical Law's content is topical and meets their needs;
- supporting privacy, data security, and data protection content and product development projects;
- assisting the sales team by participating in sales calls and demonstrating service to potential subscribers; and
- assisting the marketing team by participating in webinars and creation of educational programs.
You will be a strong team player and will possess:
- a JD or an LL.B;
- a minimum of six years' experience working as a privacy and data security/protection lawyer or privacy or data protection compliance professional in a law firm or in-house;
- expertise in a broad spectrum of Canadian privacy, data security, and data protection matters, including:
- Canadian data privacy laws and regulations, such as PIPEDA, CASL and provincial laws;
- a deep understanding of the regulatory environment and practice as it relates to privacy and data security in Canada;
- development and implementation of privacy and information management and compliance programs, policies and procedures, and training programs that address compliance with Canadian laws, including cross-border compliance;
- privacy, security and data protection aspects of cross-border transactions, including in the M&A, outsourcing, and other commercial contracting contexts; and
- regulatory investigations, enforcement actions and litigation within Canada.
- enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services;
- a good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm and in-house counsel and the legal market;
- English fluency, and a passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English;
- strong technical drafting skills; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
Thomson Reuters offers an environment that is both challenging and supportive, and we are proud to have been named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers from 2009 – 2017, a Best Workplace from 2006 – 2015, and a Great Place to Work for Women in 2015 and 2017. Thomson Reuters is committed to building a diverse workforce. We rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals, and to do that, we seek talented, qualified employees regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other protected classification. We consider work from home arrangements for candidates with a disability or specific accessibility needs. If requested, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment and assessment process.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities. More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on: www.thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top