Senior Legal Editor, Litigation, New York
Senior Legal Editor, Litigation (New York)
Practical Law, a Thomson Reuters business, is a leading online provider of legal know-how. We help business lawyers practice more efficiently and deliver greater value to clients. We deliver our content to companies, law firms, and law schools.
Our subscribers include most major international law firms and corporations, including over 90% of the top 200 law firms in the UK, over 80% of the AMLAW 100, and over 1,800 major companies worldwide. We launched our first US services in January 2009 and our Law Department service for in-house lawyers in January 2010.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company and are always looking out for bright and passionate people who share our vision for the future of legal services. We were recognized by the American Bar Association as being one of the three US companies that represent the future of law practice. For more information about Practical Law see our website at www.us.practicallaw.com.
About Thomson Reuters:
At Thomson Reuters, we deliver intelligent information quickly and efficiently, so professionals have knowledge to act. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and scientific, healthcare, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Practical Law US is looking for a Litigation Editor to work on New York resources for our Litigation Service.
The Editor will:
- Develop and draft litigation content with a focus on New York state practice for the Litigation service and other Practical Law services.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external law firm contributors providing litigation resources.
- Write, edit, and update resources, including practice guidance notes, checklists, and standard forms, in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law's companion magazine, Practical Law The Journal: Litigation.
- Stay informed of current developments and issues in New York state practice to ensure timely updates of existing content and development of new content.
- Organize and conduct webinars on topics of interest to attorneys practicing in New York state and assist with marketing initiatives and sales demonstrations.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Candidates should have at least the following skills and experience:
- Minimum of eight (8) years' experience working as a litigator in a law firm, company, or governmental agency, with significant experience practicing in New York state courts.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- Keen interest in the litigation process and court procedure, with an emphasis on New York state.
- A solid understanding of the needs of New York law firm attorneys and corporate counsel with regards to all areas of New York practice.
- Experience in the following areas of New York practice is strongly preferred:
- New York state court civil procedure (e.g, how to commence an action, how to set a return date);
- drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, motions, discovery requests, and appellate briefs;
- serving and filing court documents;
- taking and defending depositions;
- arguing motions and other applications before a court;
- trial and appellate practice;
- counseling clients in litigation avoidance, mitigation, management, and settlement;
- alternative dispute resolution; and
- commercial litigation, construction litigation, real estate litigation, insurance coverage litigation, and/or products liability litigation.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top