Senior Legal Editor (Capital Markets & Securities)
Practical Law US is looking for a Senior Legal Editor who has a passion for research and writing on legal topics to create attorney-specific resources for our Capital Markets & Corporate Governance Service. We are looking for someone who has focused their career on capital-raising and organizational matters for startups and small businesses. Our culture is dynamic, energetic and intellectual. Our hours are regular and vacations are never interrupted. We work collaboratively on resources and interesting projects that integrate with Thomson Reuter's other offerings, particularly in the legal technology space.
The focus of the editor is to expand the scope of our legal know-how materials in the following areas:
- The unique array of legal issues facing startup companies and growing businesses with a focus on capital raising and corporate governance and housekeeping.
- Conducting all aspects of venture capital and startup financings including seed, bridge, crowdfunding, Regulation A and Series A/B/C/D financings, preferably representing the issuer.
- Choosing, drafting and negotiating venture capital and startup financing instruments including term sheets, convertible securities, purchase agreements and SAFEs.
- Issuer and underwriter/placement agent issues at all stages of registered and unregistered offerings.
- Strong knowledge of issues relating specifically to organization of startups and small businesses throughout their life cycles.
- Strong familiarity with issues that impact decisions for startups (such as labor/employment, intellectual property, stock options).
The Attorney will:
- Conceptualize, draft and edit original legal know-how materials, including practice notes, annotated standard-form documents and transactional checklists for online and print publication.
- Maintain current awareness of and analyze law and market practice in this area.
- Focus and shape the future of Practical Law's transactional startups content.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams to plan and lead product demonstrations, webinars and in-person continuing legal education seminars for current and potential subscribers.
- Assist with the development of special projects undertaken by Thomson Reuters and Practical Law.
- Organize and conduct webinars on topics of interest to attorneys practicing in the securities law area, and assist with marketing initiatives and sales demonstrations.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law's companion magazine, Practical Law The Journal: Business Transactions.
- Develop and use existing relationships with in-house counsel and legal practitioners to ensure that the transactional offerings content is topical and meets their needs.
Candidates should have at least the following skills and experience:
- At least eight years of securities law experience providing advice on transactional matters to a variety of organizations with a strong focus on representing startups and small business organizations.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A solid understanding of the needs of law firm attorneys and corporate counsel with respect to all areas of securities law practice.
- Ability to understand and interpret fundamental workings and trends within a target industry.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to provide a writing sample.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Los Angeles-California-United States of America;Boston-Massachusetts-United States of America;Charlotte-North Carolina-United States of America;Dallas-Texas-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Lisa B.Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top