Senior Java Developer
What happens after a start-up is up? What is the grown-up version? FindLaw is that start-up, all grown up. We started in Silicon Valley in 1996, were acquired in 2001, and have been growing and evolving ever since. Now we need to do more of what we do best, provide online legal information and marketing services for the legal community, businesses and individuals. We are the biggest and best in our space, but we want more, and we need your help!
Primary Objective(s): What are You Doing with Your Life? If you want to be our next Senior Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for helping design, develop, test and maintain applications that drive our business and support our internal and external customers. You will work with the development team and architects to analyze business requirements, advise, design, and implement new functionality and enhancements to applications and web sites. Of course you will need to effectively manage your time to coordinate work on multiple projects with team members - but hey, you don't want miss a chance to work on everything, and with everyone. Can you do all this with a sense of fun, and a drive to be the next star on your team? Then you are the one we want.
Division/Group/Role: The Mother ship
FindLaw ( www.findlaw.com ), a Thomson Reuters business, is the world's leading provider of online legal information and solutions for the legal community, businesses, and individuals. Our integrated marketing solutions help law firms grow their practice through strategic online marketing approaches that drive results. The FindLaw Internet portal is the highest-trafficked legal website, according to leading independent Internet traffic-monitoring services - and just about everyone else. FindLaw also offers resources and services for lawyers with law practice and legal career development, free access to case law and codes, a career center, breaking legal news, blogs, and newsletters. For our consumer users, we have an answers community, and service directories (articles explaining the law), blogs and news. We are the trusted source consumers use to learn about a legal topic, solve a legal problem or find a lawyer.
FindLaw prides itself on being a great place to work. We value innovation, collaboration, and a sense of humor. If you know a better way to get things done for your customers, we want to know about it. We also value attracting and retaining the best talent. As a result, FindLaw has the industry's largest team of online experts, from content editors and writers to Web designers and engineers, from SEO strategists, to a national network of sales consultants - we are all committed to delivering excellence for our customers.
The Senior Java Developer will be part of an Agile Delivery Team responsible for implementing new features, enhancements to existing features, and support of FindLaw's custom WordPress platform. This platform is a world-class WordPress multi-site platform supporting thousands of websites for small to mid-size law firms. These websites provide an industry-leading online marketing presence for our Customers. This position will work under the guidance of Lead Software Engineers and Architects to collaborate with the Delivery team in delivering solutions. The SSE works with Tech leads, Business Analysts, QA Testers, Business Users, and Management to contribute to all Agile activities including: backlog grooming, story writing and estimating, sprint planning, testing, and release activities. You will also be responsible for the overall quality of the deliverable as well as playing a role in Org-wide tech initiatives.
- Analyze business requirements, then design, implement, and test solution to meet business needs
- Be a present and vocal member in all phases of the solution delivery such as project chartering, story mapping, backlog grooming, sprint planning, and demos/retros
- Understand technical requirements and code applications in accordance with application development and maintenance standards for accessibility, security, enterprise systems management, as well as other business requirements
- Build and automate application unit tests to ensure high-level of code quality
- Partner with QA team members to perform functional, performance, integration, security, and regression testing according to established benchmarks and project specifications
- Engage in coding best practice activities; i.e., participate in Development Communities which oversee the code quality of existing applications
- Partner with other team members both within or outside of the team to promote code management practice and facilitate release coordination
- Lead by example by producing high quality code and software design
Technologies and skills:
- Must possess experience in following technologies: WordPress custom development, PHP, React, Node, Java Script, CSS, MySQL, REST
- Experience in the following technologies is a plus: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Oracle, Jenkins, GIT, JUnit, GIT
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Must have a strong desire to become adept in several applications and technologies
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to communicate technical ideas and concepts with all audiences: Tech, Business, Management, etc.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering
- 3+ years of experience in application development
- High adaptability and self-motivating in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to learn new technologies
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top