Senior Director, Quantitative Research & Data Science (San Francisco location)
Thomson Reuters Labs is fueling data-driven innovation in collaboration with our customers and partners. TR Labs incorporates quantitative financial modeling and data science, customer proofs-of-concept, and research & development. Customer-facing labs are located in Boston, Cape Town, London, Waterloo, Zurich and Singapore, in addition to world-class R&D teams in offices around the world with expertise in cognitive computing and AI.
Thomson Reuters is extending its network of labs to San Francisco to build on our expertise in quantitative finance and data science research for our Finance and Risk business. This involves the application of big data and machine learning in quantitative model development for investment professionals and the discovery and development of novel data sets. The San Francisco Lab will have its roots in StarMine, a highly respected group of researchers and analysts that have developed sophisticated quantitative models for investment professionals worldwide.
We are currently seeking a Senior Director with an entrepreneurial mindset and experience in quantitative research and data science to lead our San Francisco Lab. You'll join a fast-paced Thomson Reuters Labs organization that functions like a startup, but leverages the support and resources of a world-class enterprise to deliver customer impactful solutions.
The Senior Director is driven, resourceful, and capable of building data-driven insights that address complex current and future business problems. In this role, you will demonstrate the power of emerging technology and sophisticated research and will have significant and direct impact on our company's products.
- Lead a team of quantitative analysts, researchers, and data scientists to develop the next generation of financial research for investment professionals and risk managers.
- Identify trends in the investment management industry and technology (machine learning, big data, etc) and look for opportunities for technology, new sources of data, and financial modeling to help solve customer challenges.
- Meet with our customers to provide thought leadership on behalf of Thomson Reuters and understand customer pain points and opportunities. Help customers understand our current analytics offerings.
- Build internal relationships with technology and business leaders.
- Manage internal relationships with product managers and technology development teams to successfully transition models to production.
- Full-cycle program management that includes working with team leads to envision, scope, and implement project plans; setting deliverables and milestones; identifying owners, and managing internal and external stakeholder communications and expectations.
- Develop and manage relationships with customers, partners, start-ups and academic groups in San Francisco that align with Thomson Reuters' strategic and technology priorities.
- Make recommendations on partnership opportunities to leadership teams
- Overall responsibility for day-to-day operations of the San Francisco Lab
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Masters or PhD required in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or related degree program
- 8 years of industry experience working in quantitative financial investing, data science, and consulting with businesses to drive and lead innovation
- 3 years of experience simultaneously managing multiple highly complex programs and projects with a demonstrated ability to structure problem statements, translate complex requirements, and manage deliverables through project completion
- Expert communicator to drive business development with industry leaders and senior executives from Thomson Reuters to analyze, negotiate, influence, evangelize, and collaborate effectively
- Technical background providing an understanding of opportunities and limitations associated with data-driven innovation, data science, and machine learning in the financial domain
- Experience effectively identifying, building, and managing a network of external and internal stakeholders
- Knowledge of the financial industry and quantitative investment processes
- Hands-on experience with quantitative model research and data science with tools such as R, Python and financial data preferred
- CFA designation or progress towards is preferred.
- Travel up to 30% including domestic and international locations
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top