Senior Data Scientist - Editorial Analytics Platform
Thomson Reuters is the Answer Company™. We provide authoritative content, advanced technologies and human expertise to help our customers find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters has recently announced the expansion of its Canadian operations with the creation of a new technology center in downtown Toronto, Ontario. Toronto is home to an emerging ecosystem of world-class technology talent and the new technology center will be the preeminent hub of innovation.
Senior Data Scientist - Editorial Analytics Platform, News Technology: Data Scientist to help create an analytics & machine learning platform to support opportunities through the expansion of investable insights within the Reuters news content – thru signal detection, analytics, noise reduction and news automation, as well as to support Reuters' journalist throughout the News production lifecycle – from discovery of news worthy events to researching the story to publication, and all that at the speed of light in an increasingly competitive landscape.
We are currently seeking a passionate and entrepreneurial Senior Data Scientist with a consistent track record of building data-driven insights to drive transformational innovation in Reuters Newsroom and editorial workflows. In this position, you will collaborate with like-minded people across our organization to conceptualize new ideas, strategies, algorithms and financial/statistical models. You will rapidly build proof-of-concepts, test the validity and applicability of those ideas and iterate over it.
This position requires domain expertise in areas including analytics, machine learning, data mining, natural language processing, statistical or probabilistic modeling. Deep familiarity and experience with financial data and modelling is a requirement. Ability to collaborate and work with a team of talented engineers, data scientists, R&D and subject matter experts will be important.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- You will conceptualize new ideas; build prototypes and proof-of-concepts both in collaboration with other data scientists and as individually lead projects
- You will conceive, develop, and test algorithms using R, Python, etc.
- You are a standout colleague, focusing on results, collaboration and winning as a team
- Your team consistently delivers and delights its customers
- You are a quick learner. You are able to put in practice what you already know, and you are able to self-learn
- An "agile" person. You can work with different SDLC methodologies – Agile, waterfall and hybrid approaches
- You desire a fast-paced, dynamic environment. You can operate with ambiguous requirements and changing priorities, all while having a strong sense of ownership of the solutions that you deliver
- You are a mentor and you help your team realize their full potential
Education: Master's Degree or PhD in relevant technical field, such as computer science, applied mathematics or cognitive computing
- 3 years of industry experience in data mining and analytics
- Experience working with scripting languages like Ruby or Python, familiarity with web frameworks
- 2 years' experience with data analysis & visualization using tools like R, Matlab
- Experience producing and rapidly delivering minimum viable
- Experience in programming languages (Scala, Java, Python…)
- Expertise in one or more of the following:
- Relational Database Systems and SQL (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, Vertica)
- Big data analytics (Hadoop, Hive, NoSQL, Spark, Shark, Hive, Mahout, Impala, Solr, HBase, Pig, Cascading)
- Information extraction, data mining, or machine learning
- Experience partnering with internal business owners
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability and passion to learn new technologies
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with Natural Language Processing and Natural Language Generation technologies
- Experience with AWS and related technologies a big plus
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top