Senior Data Scientist
Thomson Reuters is looking for data scientists with a passion for Image Recognition/Computer Vision with a proven record of applied innovation to join a new and growing Technology Innovation team that has been tasked with driving technology transformation at Reuters News division.Our team's goal is to apply emerging technologies, like Image Recognition, to the plethora of image and video data created by Reuters News editors in order to streamline content generation processes and support creation of new B2B and B2C client facing products. We are looking for data scientists excited to work with abundance of image data in collaboration with other specialists, applying state-of-the-art models to create innovative solutions to challenging business problems.
About Thomson Reuters
You might be familiar with Reuters News, which is one of the 5 biggest media companies in the world, but you might not know that Thomson Reuters is also one of the leading sources of information for 98% of North American legal firms and the vast majority of the Fortune 100.
How much data do we have? Over 60,000 TBs worth of legal, regulatory, news, and tax. That's about 20,000 times more data than exists in Wikipedia.
Thomson Reuters has long invested in machine learning to help our customers do everything from quickly find the documents they are looking for to answering specific questions to predicting stock movements.
We are capitalizing on our decades of machine learning experience to push the envelope of what is possible using the latest cutting-edge techniques in image recognition.
- Interact with business stakeholders to understand their challenges, develop hypotheses and prototype solutions to real world problems using innovative image recognition and machine learning techniques.
- Design, implement and validate developed algorithms.
- Applicant should be able to quickly spot errors, remove obstacles, and provide guidance when research progress slows.
- Demonstrating successful mentorship of junior team members and delegation of tasks to other team members to further plan execution, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with engineering and technology teams to move your solutions into production.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or Masters in a data-heavy technical field, such as Computer Vision, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or other data-heavy discipline such as Physics or Chemistry or quantitative social science.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in building machine learning models and/or systems.
- Proficient programming skills in a high-level language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python, C/C++, Perl, Matlab, R).
- Project-based experience with some of the following tools:
- Traditional image processing and learning (e.g. SIFT, SURF, Bag-of-features, Fisher Vector etc.)
- Expertise in at least one area of visual image enhancement, semantic understanding and reasoning of images (e.g., intelligent scene recognition, saliency detection, image semantic, color balance, image super-resolution and denoising, OCR, image search and image captioning, etc.)
- Supervised and unsupervised machine learning (e.g. libSVM, Shogun, Scikit-learn or similar) and deep learning
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design (e.g., using R, Matlab, iPython, etc.)
- Information retrieval and search engines, e.g. Solr/Lucene
- Distributed computing platforms, such as Hadoop (Hive, HBase, Pig), Spark, GraphLab
- Databases (traditional and noSQL).
- Ability to translate the latest technical papers into implementations addressing our use cases.
- Experience with statistical data analysis, experimental design, and hypotheses validation.
- Must be a self-motivated, lifelong learner, who is passionate about turning new ideas into solutions for clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Lisa B.Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top