Senior Cloud Engineer - Service Optimization
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
We're growing a team of highly skilled and passionate engineers to help build, develop and operate large-scale public cloud environments. The group is responsible for creating a platform that allows development groups to leverage Public Cloud resources in a standard, supportable framework. This is a chance to work with a small group of motivated, knowledgeable and passionate individuals in an effort to mould the way that Thomson Reuters moves to providers such as AWS and Microsoft Azure. You'll need to work fast and learn as you go, but this is a chance to change the way we run things in Thomson Reuters.
We value technical aptitude, innovative thinking and a great learning ability above proficiency with specific toolsets. And we are always open to new ideas and methods. This engineering role will have a specific focus on the development of features in support of our public cloud cost optimization roadmap which seeks to ensure TR derives best value from our adoption of public cloud technology.
Essential Day-to-Day Responsibilities
- Take part in a wider community of technologists to describe & own the work produced by team
- Ongoing support and development of cloud services including working with Thomson Reuters product development groups to build cloud aware applications
- Develop automated processes to prevent, identify and fix problems that impact service availability
- Work as part of a larger SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team to provide operations support for our AWS & Azure accounts
- This role has an emphasis on delivering features to support the overall cost optimization agenda.
- develop and support our cloud cost management toolset
- script complex data queries to pull and manipulate data from our public cloud service provider APIs
- develop patterns and software to utilise cost saving features in public cloud - auto scaling, instance right sizing, spot market and reserved instances, etc
Leadership & Communication
- Communicate effectively and professionally with internal customers, management and other Enterprise Cloud teams dispersed across the globe
- Collaborate with product develop teams to translate high level technical requirements and in turn define infrastructure changes
- Provide metrics around reliability, stability and performance of our infrastructure
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals
Business Acumen and Strategy
- Develop a broad knowledge of Thomson Reuters business strategies and product portfolio
- Innovate new and improved uses of technology to meet business objectives
- Understand the impact of new technologies and their technical impacts to supported systems
- A four-year degree or equivalent preferred.
- Strong passion for technology, a willingness to learn new skills and the ability to evangelize the uses of cloud services
- Experienced in writing clean code in Object Orientated languages: Java, C# or Ruby. Python preferred.
- Knowledge of these public cloud service providers: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure
- Knowledge of public cloud cost optimization strategies
- Data analysis - be comfortable extracting and modelling large data sets covering cloud utilization, billing, and usage to provide useful insight
- Knowledge of modern agile development methodologies
- Self-motivated, ability to translate technical direction into functional solutions
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of tools such as Puppet, Jenkins & Git
- Exposure to DevOps practices and automation of software testing, delivery and infrastructure changes
- Experienced in writing clean code in Python
- Experience in working as part of an existing Site Reliability Engineering team
- Experience with any public or private cloud technologies/services
- Expertise in Windows and Linux system administration, databases (relational and NoSQL) and networking infrastructure and services (routing, switching, DNS, NTP)
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top