Senior Associate Editor – Trusts & Estates Attorney IL (Remote)
- Chicago, IL
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. Practical Law, a Thomson Reuters business, is a leading online provider of legal know-how. We help lawyers practice more efficiently and deliver greater value to clients. As a full-time Practical Law editor on our Trusts and Estates team, you will have the opportunity to apply your practical experience in a highly professional environment with other experienced attorneys. This is a dynamic job that allows you to fully utilize and continuously expand your skills and develop information and technology solutions. Our subscribers include most major international law firms and corporations, including approximately 85% of the Am Law 200, hundreds of small and mid-size firms and over 1,300 legal departments worldwide.
About the Role
In this opportunity as a Senior Associate Editor, you will:
- Work with Senior Legal Editors and contributing authors to edit and maintain state-specific trusts and estates resources across jurisdictions. The resources include practice guidance notes, checklists, standard documents, legal updates, and other state-specific legal content in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Author, edit, and maintain state-specific resources for Illinois.
- Edit state-specific trusts and estates resources to conform with Practical Law's house style and plain English.
- Collaborate with other Practical Law editors on content planning and priorities to meet the practice needs of trusts and estates lawyers, and to identify and develop new high-value resources.
- Help maintain and manage internal progress charts, databases, and folders.
- Stay informed of current developments and issues in trusts and estates nationally and across jurisdictions, to ensure timely updates of existing content and to help develop new content.
- Provide additional editorial support for the Trusts & Estates service as required.
- Work remotely from home on a permanent basis - anywhere in the State of Illinois.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to undertake writing and editing samples.
You're a fit for the role of Senior Legal Editor if you have:
- At least three (3) years' experience working as a Trusts and Estates Attorney in an Illinois law firm.
- A clear focus on trusts and estates matters.
- Actively licensed in Illinois.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Significant and broad expertise and practice experience in a variety of trusts and estates matters, optimally including:
- Routine estate planning with wills and revocable trusts, planning with irrevocable trusts, charitable planning, special needs planning, planning for closely-held business owners, routine and complex probate and estate administration matters, preparation of federal estate tax returns (and state, as applicable), preparation of federal gift tax returns, and generation-skipping transfer tax planning.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of trusts and estates attorneys, and the legal market in general.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong computer skills in general, and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- A passion for writing and strong editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- excellent command of grammar, punctuation and plain English;
- strong technical drafting skills; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Self-motivated with excellent management and organizational skills to effectively track productivity and ensure product development milestones are met.
- Ability to constantly collaborate with and support team members in a remote environment.
- Ability to operate efficiently in a remote/VPN environment without on-site technical support.
What's in it For You
At Thomson Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Compensation:Competitive salary and bonus.
- Learning & Development: Environment that encourages continuous learning and development.
- Benefits:Excellent 401(k) with generous match, paid time off, parental leave, health insurance, employee stock purchase program, and other benefits.
- Perks:Excellent work-life balance in a professional and flexible work environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we've been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world's most global news services - Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Bloomington-Illinois-United States of America;Joliet-Illinois-United States of America;Peoria-Illinois-United States of America;Springfield-Illinois-United States of America
Back to top