Senior Associate Editor, Litigation (NJ)
Practical Law is looking for a Senior Associate Editor to research, draft, edit, and publish New Jersey state content for its Litigation web service. The Senior Associate Editor will:
- Work with New Jersey Senior Legal Editors to draft, edit, and update New Jersey-specific litigation resources, including practice guidance notes, checklists, standard documents, and other state-specific legal content in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Stay current on and analyze current legal developments, court rules, and other potential topics for the New Jersey Litigation team.
- Edit New Jersey-specific litigation resources to conform with Practical Law's writing style.
- Develop ideas for new New Jersey state litigation content to be published on Practical Law.
- Liaise with external authors regarding original contributions and updates of Practical Law resources.
- Work with Practical Law editors on drafting, editing, and updating brief bank summaries and other resources concerning federal litigation practice.
- Provide additional editorial support for the Litigation service as required.
- A J.D. degree and three (3) to six (6) years' experience working as a litigation attorney in a law firm or as in-house counsel, and general expertise in New Jersey state litigation procedure.
- Extensive experience drafting, filing, and serving litigation-related documents.
- Enthusiasm, ambition, and intellectual curiosity, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm attorneys, in-house counsel, and the legal market in general.
- Strong communication skills and a desire for collaboration.
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Knowledge in the following areas is strongly preferred:
- New Jersey state court civil procedure;
- documents required for particular court filings and other litigation events; and
- commercial litigation.
- Experience in the following areas is strongly preferred:
- drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, motions, discovery requests and responses, and appellate briefs;
- serving and filing court documents;
- conducting electronic discovery;
- taking and defending depositions;
- arguing motions and other applications in New Jersey Superior Court;
- counseling clients in litigation avoidance, mitigation, management, and settlement; and
- alternative dispute resolution.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
This role has the ability to be remote in a home office if geography is not within a commutable distance to a Thomson Reuters office.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
New York-New York-United States of America;Hoboken-New Jersey-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top