We are looking for a Senior Accountant to join the Thomson Reuters Finance department located in Eagan, MN. The Controllership function is a key element in the company's strategy to leverage best practices, support future acquisitions and growth, and streamline processes and activities across the organization and the world to return value to our customers by becoming more effective and efficient. This is a growing organization where exceptional individuals can make a lasting impact on the company and develop through challenging assignments.
This position is responsible for performing accounting activities and providing information for the consolidation of financial results for Thomson Reuters Strategic Business Units (SBUs) on a monthly basis and partners with other colleagues to leverage systems and resources. The individual in this role provides critical accounting support and makes recommendations for improving accounting activities, processes, and the collection, consolidation, and reporting of financial-performance information. Additionally, this position is a resource for the Finance team regarding financial and analysis issues with the SBUs and in promoting a seamless customer interface experience.
The Senior Accountant position supports the Controllership function's efforts to provide analysis for the SBUs across the Thomson Reuters organization. This role will report to the Accounting Operations Manager and will work closely with SBU and colleagues across the world to ensure that business requirements are supported appropriately.
Primary Areas of Accountability:
- Maintain and reconcile General Ledger accounts on a recurring basis; including posting monthly journal entries, providing variance analysis to plan and prior period results, and investigating and determining potential impacts of different activities on financial statements
- Perform month-end close responsibilities with a complete understanding of the close process and the financial framework within an SAP environment
- Perform complex financial analysis, identify key trends, and make recommendations to SBU customers, including data entry and reporting
- Collect and consolidate data, and prepare financial statements that summarize Thomson Reuters SBUs operating results and financial position
- Ensure financial information is accurate and in accordance with IFRS, GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulatory requirements and adheres to Thomson Reuters policies and procedures
General Areas of Accountability:
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with customers and partnering organizations providing regular and frequent communications
- Develop and communicate clear expectations for work with internal groups and departments to ensure satisfaction with services provided
- Participate in quarterly reviews and annual audits with internal and external auditors; participate in periodic internal finance projects
- Maintain technical skills in areas of expertise through review of research, training, and communication within the discipline to support a dynamic high volume business environment
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Requirements/Education and Previous Work Experience Requirements:
- Four-year degree in Accounting or Finance required
- MBA preferred
- CPA or CMA certification preferred
- Four to seven years progressive finance or accounting experience including interaction with corporate and business unit management
- Accounting experience with a global or multi-national company preferred
- Integrated financial systems experience preferred (SAP, SAS FM, and BEX)
Knowledge and Skills Inventory:
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP and IFRS
- Demonstrates ability to perform Staff Accountant II level technical skills
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal skills with a competence in presenting in a professional and influential manner
- Ability to present clear and succinct analyses to all levels of management
- Capacity to lead multiple projects with competing demands for time and resources and successfully meet tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Strong collaboration skills and effective in a team environment; proven ability to effectively transfer knowledge to build team competence
- Highly responsive and committed to results with a strong customer orientation
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate financial data across organization boundaries and geographies
- SAP, BEX, and SAS FM knowledge
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Travel on a domestic and international basis as required; estimated to be less than 10%
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top