Secondee with Global Financial Institution (Attorney) – New York City [CONTRACT POSITION]
- This position contemplates non-permanent onsite placement of a Thomson Reuters secondee within the New York City offices of a global financial institution's legal department. The individual selected will work under the direction and supervision of that legal department to support its needs. The secondee position will conclude no later than December 31, 2018. The individual selected must be a US-based attorney in good standing. Position to begin as soon as possible.
- Because this is a contractual role, contractors who accept the position will be hired through our contingent workforce management partner, PrideOne. Contractors will not be employees of Thomson Reuters and will receive a W-2.
Purpose of Role: What is the primary purpose of the role? How does it contribute to the achievement of overall business objectives?
- The role's primary purpose is to assist representatives of the global financial institution's legal department to advance both its business interests and those of Thomson Reuters. The secondee will report to work daily at the client's offices, assist members of its legal department, and work to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships between the client, its legal department, and Thomson Reuters.
Responsibilities: What are this role's major responsibilities/accountabilities?
- Responsibilities and accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Scope assigned projects and work streams
- Liaise with the financial institution's various business units and support departments to determine priorities and to agree upon solutions to identified issues
- Develop solution-oriented strategies and plans in consultation with outside counsel and vendors
- Monitor, track, and report on progress to the stakeholders in consultation with outside counsel and vendors
- Help to ensure that actions, issues, and risks are identified and effectively managed
- Ensure communication with relevant stakeholders
- Other responsibilities may include:
- Focus on and suggest process improvements
- Sharing best practices to enable greater work consistency
- Identifying value-adds
Scope and Impact: Financial responsibilities (e.g. budget, revenue, OI, gross sales, etc.)? Business impact and geographic scope of role? People management responsibilities?
- Financial responsibilities and geographic scope to be determined in consultation with the global financial institution.
- People management responsibilities: although the secondee works under the direction of the client's legal department and may be assigned managerial responsibilities with respect to vendors or others, from Thomson Reuters's perspective the secondee is essentially a team of one, TR's lone representative.
Skills: What are the critical skills that a successful incumbent would possess, e.g. languages, special math or writing skills, experience with specific tools, equipment, computer hardware or software, knowledge of special terminology?
- Superior client facing skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- A "generalist" litigation background, but strong financial industry experience is a plus
- Skilled facilitator; highly effective at knowledge transfer and dissemination
- Familiarity with TR products, services, key personnel, and organizational structure is helpful but can be learned after joining
- Conversant with client's lines of business
Behavioral Competencies: What are the critical competencies that a successful incumbent would possess?
- Client-centric; focus on customers
- Possesses global outlook
- Creative and innovative; watchful for opportunities to build lasting relationships
- Able to identify and promote TR products and services suitable for use by the client
Relationships: Internal/External: What are the important relationships that strongly influence success? How critical is the customer relationship?
- The secondee's relationship with the client is paramount. The secondee will be the client's first point of contact and is expected to meaningfully advance the customer's interests, as well as TR's.
- Important internal relationships are with middle- and upper-management within various TR businesses as well as with key members of TR's Sales team.
Professional Experience: Key experiences that a successful incumbent would typically possess.
- Litigation experience pertaining to global financial institutions
- Direct client contact
- Prior familiarity with TR products and processes is helpful
- Litigation associate at law firm or analogous position
Education / Certification: Describe any licenses, certifications or educational experiences that are either required or helpful in performing the role.
- United States: JD (Juris Doctorate, Doctor of Law) REQUIRED
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top