The Scrum Master is responsible for the usage of the Scrum framework to guide delivery management within a product-aligned agile team. The Scrum Master acts as a coach to the team to drive the team towards continuous improvement in delivering value with every sprint. The role partners with other Scrum Masters to share and learn from product development experiences, collaborate on creative solutions and approaches, and to help influence the larger organization toward increased value creation.
The Scrum Master will be working with like-minded, skilled engineers, solving complex problems and delivering great software to support successful, award-winning products. The role requires strong leadership abilities, especially the ability to drive execution on quality goals to meet the criteria of done with every sprint.
- Coaching and facilitation of the scrum team
- Keep the development team in alignment with the Scrum framework, values, and principles, and ensure the team is focused on continuous improvement – likely within a scaled implementation
- Facilitate regular and effective backlog refinement session
- Continuously work to improve team performance and productivity:
- Encourage team accountability, self-organization, and empowerment
- Share common Agile practices
- Promote and support the development team's automated processes
- Facilitate Retrospectives which generate new ideas for process improvement
- Actively work to remove impediments that slow any aspect of the development team's efforts
- Work closely with the Development Lead to ensure that the development team have what they need in terms of environment, equipment, training, support, etc.
- Support the Product Owner in writing effective User Stories and maintaining the ordered Product Backlog as the development team provides estimates
- Identify, make transparent, and help to manage dependencies with other internal or external teams as required
- Maintain relevant metrics that guide the development team to more efficient processes in their work and in satisfying their Product Owner and stakeholders
- Maintain effective information radiators that aid transparency and encourage clear communication between the development team, the Product Owner, and stakeholders
Organizational coaching and training:
- Actively participate as a member of the Scrum Master Team, helping to reduce waste and drive continuous improvement throughout the organization.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement learning activities, including leading or co-leading training sessions open to the greater organization via the Product Agility Center of Excellence.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Must be a certified Scrum Master, holding either a PSM or CSM
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Experience in a software development, delivery, or related role; experience as a Scrum Team member (Scrum Master, Developer, or Product Owner)
- Subject matter expert of Scrum and complimentary Agile development approaches
- Ability to facilitate, understand, and contribute to technical discussions
- Effective communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills; Must be comfortable communicating with development teams, Product Owners, Product Management, and Senior Management
- Effective facilitation and conflict resolution skills – must be able to facilitate discussion of multiple approaches and drive resolution
- High level of personal accountability, as evidenced by your commitment, resilience, ownership, and mindset toward continuous learning
- Enthusiastic – must be high-energy, motivated, and driven to help your team excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work with diverse personality types
- Understand that your role in the organization is broader than the details included in this particular job description
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top