Research Scientist - NLP
Thomson Reuters is the Answer Company™. We provide authoritative content, advanced technologies and human expertise to help our customers find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters is at the forefront of developing technology that will revolutionize how people access and use information by interacting with intelligent machines. The Cognitive Computing Center of Excellence is a newly-formed branch of Thomson Reuters R&D dedicated to advancing the state of the art in machine perception, reasoning, knowledge management and human-computer interfaces. We are partnering with IBM to use their Watson™ technology to build novel solutions for our millions of customers.
We are looking for candidates with innovative approaches and the expertise to combine and improve existing technologies into Cognitive Computing products that will help our professional customers find the answers they are looking for. Do you want to be part of a creative smart team working on leading edge problems alongside other research scientists and engineers?
We are looking for a passionate Research Scientist with a proven record of applied innovation, who is interested in taking Artificial Intelligence technologies to the next level. We are looking for a creative individual who can understand complex business problems, and who can develop scalable algorithms and prototypes to demonstrate the art of possible.
Applicants should have significant experience in one or more of the following areas: Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Question Answering, Text Mining, Information Retrieval, Distributional Semantics, and/or Discourse Modeling.
- Design, implement and validate algorithms at scale to solve challenging real world problems
- Collaborate with technologists and business stakeholders to drive innovation from conception to production
- PhD in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, or related field preferred, or Master's degree with 2 years of relevant industry experience.
- Proficient programming skills in a high-level language (e.g. Java,Scala, Python, C/C , Perl, Matlab, R)
- Experience with statistical data analysis, experimental design, and hypotheses validation
- Familiarity with probabilistic models and an understanding of the mathematical concepts underlying machine learning methods
- Project-based experience with some of the following tools:
- Applied machine learning (e.g. libSVM, Shogun, Scikit-learn or similar)
- Natural Language Processing (e.g., ClearTK, ScalaNLP/Breeze, ClearNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, or similar)
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design (e.g., using R, Matlab, iPython, etc.)
- Information retrieval and search engines, e.g. Solr/Lucene
- Distributed computing platforms, such as Hadoop (Hive, HBase, Pig), Spark, GraphLab
- Databases (traditional and noSQL)
- Must be a self-motivated, lifelong learner, who is passionate about turning new ideas into solutions for our customers
- Results-driven focus with the ability to prioritize deliverables that have the most significant, measurable impact
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one—collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With around 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance—and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top