Thomson Reuters' Research & Development group is looking for a research scientist in their Eagan, MN location to perform applied AI research and take part in the design and development of world class products.
We are looking for a passionate Research Scientist with a proven record of applied innovation, who is interested in taking Artificial Intelligence technologies to the next level. We are looking for a creative individual who can understand complex business problems, and who can develop scalable algorithms and prototypes to demonstrate the art of possible.
As a research scientist, you will conduct applied Artificial Intelligence research using state-of-the-art methods in machine learning, natural language processing, and information retrieval. You will contribute directly to the algorithmic design, implementation and analysis of information-based products and services for professionals around the world. You will collaborate closely with technologists and business stakeholders on the transition of your research into high value business applications. At the same time, you will be able to maintain an active academic presence through research publications and conference attendance. The group's focus areas include recommendation and search, text mining, question answering, language understanding, large-scale analytics, social computing, and natural language generation.
This position requires expertise in acquiring, processing, analyzing and modeling of information from massive amounts of textual and structured data. You should have experience with robust statistical NLP techniques for developing large scale. A track record of data-driven implementation and strong experimental design cannot be overemphasized. If you thrive on mastering new technical challenges and desire the opportunity to apply creative solutions to real-world problems, we want to hear from you!
- Design, implement and validate algorithms at scale to solve challenging real world problems
- Collaborate with technologists and business stakeholders to drive innovation from conception to production
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, or related field preferred, or Master's degree with 2+ years of relevant industry experience; Senior or Lead positions will be considered commensurate with additional experience.
- Proficient programming skills in a high-level language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python, C/C++, Perl, R)
- Experience with statistical data analysis, experimental design, and hypotheses validation
- Familiarity with probabilistic models and an understanding of the mathematical concepts underlying machine learning methods
- Project-based experience with some of the following tools:
- Applied machine learning (e.g. libSVM, Shogun, Scikit-learn or similar)
- Deep learning (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, Theano, etc.)
- Natural Language Processing (e.g., ClearTK, ScalaNLP/Breeze, ClearNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, or similar)
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design (e.g., using R, Matlab, iPython, etc.)
- Information retrieval and search engines, e.g. Solr/Lucene
- Distributed computing platforms, such as Hadoop (Hive, HBase, Pig), Spark, GraphLab
- Databases (traditional and noSQL)
- Must be a self-motivated, lifelong learner, who is passionate about turning new ideas into solutions for our customers
- Results-driven focus with the ability to prioritize deliverables that have the most significant, measurable impact
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top